Prince's Death

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Re: Prince's Death

Post by yankochick38 »

Elvis wrote:I've been sitting on this for a while, but now is as good time as any to post it. I have an audio clip of Prince taking about Weird Al and "Fat". It's off of one of his LoveSexy Tour rehearsal bootlegs from around 1988. He starts out by saying he didn't like "Eat It" but then goes on the say he really likes "Fat" and makes some references to the song and video. You can tell he really enjoyed it and was laughing. It's interesting because it shows he knows Al's work (or at least the hits) and has a sense of humor, so it was always a mystery to me why he never said yes to Al.

http://weirdal.0catch.com/sounds/Prince ... eirdAl.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave
Maybe if Al had come to Prince with a parody about fat people, he would have been on board. Maybe he just never had the best ideas for parodies and Prince was saving Al from himself. I ship this.

I never really knew Prince outside of the whole Weird Al thing. I saw him on SNL once and didn't care. I guess he probably made good music or something but I've only heard When Doves Cry and Purple Rain and that party like it's 1999 song. It's sad I guess but I was never super attached to him or anything. People die.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

TMBJon wrote:Is anyone else struggling to feel sad about Prince's death?
Why would anyone on Earth struggle to feel sad :lol: ? You either feel it or not. I hardly ever feel sad about famous people dying. Even when I care, I'm only like "oh, that kind of sucks" (e.g. when Nimoy or Bowie died), but I don't dwell on that thought. I'd only get legitimately sad if someone as significant to me as Al died.

Personally I know like two Prince's songs and don't care much for either of them, so I don't feel anything.

Sorry if that sounds disrespectful, I'm only being honest about the fact that I'm a heartless jerk :|
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

mrmeadows wrote:I'd also heard he wanted to do one of "1999" called "$19.99". (I would guess it would be a "Mr. Popeil"-like song about late-night TV commercial come-ons.) Still, I don't know if that's totally true or just apocryphal.
I always heard that Al had wanted to do a parody titled 1699 that was supposed to be a run on of the joke from Amish Paradise about partying like it's 1699.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Elvis wrote:I've been sitting on this for a while, but now is as good time as any to post it. I have an audio clip of Prince taking about Weird Al and "Fat". It's off of one of his LoveSexy Tour rehearsal bootlegs from around 1988. He starts out by saying he didn't like "Eat It" but then goes on the say he really likes "Fat" and makes some references to the song and video. You can tell he really enjoyed it and was laughing. It's interesting because it shows he knows Al's work (or at least the hits) and has a sense of humor, so it was always a mystery to me why he never said yes to Al.

http://weirdal.0catch.com/sounds/Prince ... eirdAl.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also worth noting: Prince actually pronounces "Yankovic" correctly. (No "-ch".) Purple points to him for that.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well in fairness he got enough calls from Al to know the pronunciation

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

My instructor at the outdoor centre (yes, today was the final day) told us this morning that Prince had died during a short recap activity and we pretty much just continued on with general conversation.

The first thoughts in my mind were "Prince? Dead? Uhuhuhu... you know what that means." then I forgot about it.

Then, when I came home, I finally went on to the Metro, and headline was yep.

"DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!!!!!"
I've going to admit, I've had a long hatred for Prince ever since I was an Al fan and I can't deny it. He has no sense of humour and he's pretty much just all rubbish in general.

I'm also going to admit that I want to see Al urinate on his grave as revenge for the refused parody crap and have it recorded so we can preserve the historical comeback but again, since Al expressed his condolences on the Tweeter Machine, it most likely won't happen. He must've secretly liked him all this time.
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Heds wrote: I've going to admit, I've had a long hatred for Prince ever since I was an Al fan and I can't deny it. He has no sense of humour and he's pretty much just all rubbish in general.
According to this TMZ headline, Al agrees that Prince lacked a sense of humor.
http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/20/weird-al- ... poof-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No word on if he also agrees that he was rubbish in general.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

I actually felt a bit ashamed because when I first heard about his death I thought "Oh well, jerk never let Al do a song." Like or not and I really wasn't an big fan he was still a person whom died suddenly and young. Rarely do I get upset or sad when a celebrity dies. The last one I was truly sad about was Nimoy. I loved that guy. Anyways, even if Prince's style wasn't my taste he still did so much for the music industry. He was a legend and should be remembered accordingly. It was very classy of our guy to post a little something for him on his Twitter account. I was impressed that he did so due to their fridged relationship.
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

The first I heard of Prince's death was actually Al's tweet. I never particularly cared for the guy, I wasn't into his music and felt he was a bit of a jerk anyway. Still, it's sad that he's gone. So many people did love him and were inspired by him, and he was a great musician from what I understand.

I'm not at all surprised that Al tweeted what he did. I never got the sense that he truly held a grudge against Prince, despite joking about it all the time.
Love and peace.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Dave
Damn, I suddenly can't dislike Prince anymore. He did indeed have a sense of humor. I always admired his musicianship. Without a doubt one of the best guitarists ever.
In hiding since 2010