Fan Experiences

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Song Dust
Occasional

Re: Fan Experiences

Post by Song Dust »

I haven't been here for ages (and admittedly, I haven't posted a lot), but I wanted to come here and share my experience of seeing/meeting Al on Sunday in London because, frankly, none of my friends appreciate how excited I was!

I went to see Al by myself like a loser because no one wanted to come with me, not even my fiancee. I booked a VIP ticket because I couldn't resist the chance to meet him. Also managed to get front row seats because I booked at the crack of dawn!

Anyway, amazingly, I was lucky enough to have him sing a line of WBUL to me, though I didn't think it would happen! He went over to the woman sitting ext to me and put his leg on her chair and sang in front of her face. I thought, "oh well, I was close...", and then he walked past me. However, it was during the line 'do you believe in love at first sight or shall I walk by again?' and he walked backwards and stopped to sing it to me. He was so close and looked straight at me; I could see all the sweat on his face and his eyes OMG! I just grinned like an idiot! :lol:

Then, during the encore he came to the edge of the stage and looked at me for a few seconds whilst playing his accordion. I didn't expect any more eye contact from him by that point but was so excited he looked at me again (gosh, I sound like such a loser!) :S

Anyway at the end I waited my turn to see him after the show. I walked over to him and he said something about having technical difficulties; I think he was struggling with his pen or something. Anyway he said hello and went to shake my hand but I had my bag in the hand he was supposed to shake so I said sorry and gave him the other hand. Even though I'd spent the past 2 hours looking at him on stage it was almost surreal to see him sat in front of me. I remember thinking what nice skin he has lol! Anyway he asked my name and signed my poster for me. I then had my photo taken with him and I leaned in next to him. I then asked him for a hug and he said "of course!" He speaks so politely! I gave him a big hug and said thank you. I can honestly say he's a great hugger and smelt really nice and fresh! After that I scooted off! He was really nice and made me feel relaxed.

So yeh, my fangirly moment meeting Al. I think I kept it cool lol! I'd like to add that I feel so very fortunate to have been as lucky as I was.

4/10/15 ~ First concert and meeting Al! <3
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Song Dust wrote: (gosh, I sound like such a loser!) :S
You sound like a geek, which is a completely different and completely fine thing to be ;)
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Glad it went so well, and it sucks nobody would go with you, we have all had to deal with that before, people are so lame sometimes. Awesome that you went yourself, I have done that on other tours, then you don't have to kick yourself over and over later for missing out. But they still do. ;)
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

If the travel to the venue doesn't take too long, I wouldn't mind going alone at all. It allows you to geek out as much as you want without anyone judging you! If I went with a friend (the kind that only sort of knows of this Yankovich guy), I'd feel constrained to hold back my emotions.
But if you had a several hour trip, going alone could be boring...
yank
Occasional

Post by yank »

minnick27 wrote:Me and a couple other fans were given a pizza by the band outside of the Grand in Wilmington DE in 2000. It had olives and was gross, but we scarfed it down.

Last tour I got to the venue early and was able to park in the lot next to the theatre. Nancy texted to ask where I was parked so I took a selfie with the bus behind me. As I was taking it Bermuda walked into frame. After I sent it I noticed and felt like a bit of a stalker. Then Jon saw me and walked over to talk. Now I've talked to him a bunch of times but never one on one. As we were talking Nancy called me so I let Jon answer. She was confused to say the least

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Why did the band buy you a pizza?
"First of all, I don't particularly MIND the rabid wolverine in my underwear...."

"I was not shocked by the power of the Internet," he said. "I was counting on it."

"IT'S THE WEEKEND!" At the Zoo.fm
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

They had an extra pizza so they generously gave it to us. Pretty sure it was Ruben that brought it out
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

Me thinks that I would be interesting to add in a little section on when one is at a concert you don't have to be close to the stage to have a great time. Just being there and watching Al and the Band preform is enough. The energy and excitement is just as strong in the back as it is in the front.

I love reading these experiences and I think this project is an awesome idea.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Awesome to hear about your concert experience, Song Dust. Thanks for sharing!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Song Dust
Occasional

Post by Song Dust »

I took a 2 hour train journey to get to London. Wasn't too bad, and I've done it plenty of times before. Stayed in a really nice hotel too, so win win! I was freaking out that morning about going it alone though; but it was well worth it! And I do agree with you, mellow weasel; I was kind of happy that I didn't have to hold back my excitement with someone who doesn't appreciate Al as much as I do. A friend was going to come with me but she only really likes 'Word Crimes'. She backed out of buying a ticket at the last minute and she didn't want to fork out for the VIP ones, whilst I had my heart set on it.
4/10/15 ~ First concert and meeting Al! <3
memphiselle1

Post by memphiselle1 »

On August 19, 2004, I attended my second ever "Weird Al" concert at Meadowbrook Music Festival in Rochester Hills MI . My mom was doing freelance work for the advertising agency that was sponsoring the show, so she managed to get us both VIP passes to meet Al afterwards. I remember the walk that led to the backstage area. It had pipes and wires and all sorts of mechanical things there. It was very industrial.

Anyway, we ended up on a little wooden deck with tables and chairs. Al's tour bus was parked near the deck. There were a dozen or so people there, so I was under the impression that I'd only get to see him for a few seconds before the other fans swarmed him. But to my surprise, a security guard walked up to the deck and cleared out everyone, except for my mom and I. Apparently, she had told the ad agency that I was a heart patient (which is true. I have Hypo-Plastic Left Heart Syndrome.), so Al had agreed to do a private meeting with me.

A few minutes later, Al came out of the bus, drenched in sweat, talking to a security guard. I honestly started shaking with excitement. Al looked up, looked me right in the eyes, and LEPT up out of his slouch and ran over to me. He immediately shook my hand, and I got to spend a good 5 minutes with him. For some reason, I felt the need to show him that I had been "practicing" the high kick move he does during Gump. He wasn't too impressed… X*

Either way, I told him that I had seen one of his shows earlier in the tour, and explained that he had bumped into my leg while walking by me during Wanna B Ur Luvr, to which he replied, "Oh really! Do you still have the bruise?". :D I also told him that I was disappointed that I didn't get hit with any of the water during Smells Like Nirvana. He then offered to throw a cup of water on me. :lol:

I was 6 years old that night, and I've never forgotten it. I tried to get a picture with him, but my mom couldn't get our crappy digital camera to work. I did get his autograph however, on a sign that said "We Love Al" that my sister had made for me to hold up during the show.

Sooo yeah. Thats my story! :)
"Not too stupid… just stupid enough."