Which song do you think Al sounds most vocally talented

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Yankopunk
Addicted

Re: Which song do you think Al sounds most vocally talented

Post by Yankopunk »

It's amazing how much better of a singer Al has become over the years, isn't it? I wonder what some of his newer songs would sound like with the "rougher" voice Al used to have on his very early stuff.
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

Yankopunk wrote:I wonder what some of his newer songs would sound like with the "rougher" voice Al used to have on his very early stuff.
I would probably say it'd be comparable to the demo recording of Word Crimes. -It also depends on how far back we're talking.

If it was around the time of his self-titled debut record or In 3-D, I'd say have to say that songs like Word Crimes, Mission Statement, and Virus Alert would have quite nasal-sounding harmonies to them, while the lead vocal would sound similar to Like a Surgeon, or the album version of My Bologna.

If we're going with any of his Pre-My Bologna attempts, just imagine Word Crimes sounding like Hit Me with a Rock or Mission Statement sounding like American Slob and that's what it'd sound like.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

I completely forgot about the Word Crimes demo! That's a good comparison (very good points, overall, that you bring up).

I love how Al can sound so different... whiny and nasal, soft and sweet, screaming, deep and low, you name it. People don't give him much credit as a vocalist. Most people I know just think of him as sounding whiny, nasal, or annoying. They probably only have heard a song or two from him, I suppose, or they just choose to judge him without giving him a chance.
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!