Why doesn't Al follow fans back on Twitter?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

IFoundMyYankochicks
Die-hard Fan

Re: Why doesn't Al follow fans back on Twitter?

Post by IFoundMyYankochicks »

Also, you haven't told us how you found out that 80% of celebrities follow their fans back. :?
Concerts Attended: The Masonic (San Fransisco) 8/29/15

Al is our supreme lord
aLuMiNaTi
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

offbeatbryce wrote:
IFoundMyYankochicks wrote:Al is his own person, he doesn't have to be like other celebrities. If I was famous I wouldn't follow almost 5 million people, they probably wouldn't have alot to say and my twitter feed would be full of random junk. Also, I rarely see people follow back their fans. The only people that do that are annoying Vine stars looking for attention and for more people to follow them.
Go check out lady gaga, George Lopez, and all the American idols from last year. They follow 1,000 plus fans and they personally use their Twitter accounts. Tony hawk does the same thing including Janet Jackson. I could list 400 celebs that do. Just search famous people and you will see what I mean. George Lopez even follows me and DMed me once with a personal video.
Alright. Let's look at the stats. Lady Gaga follows 131K people, but 52.9 million people follow her. This means that roughly 99% of the people that follow her, she doesn't follow back. George Lopez and Tony Hawk's ratio also equals out to 99% of his followers not getting a follow back. I don't know where you got the Janet Jackson stat, as she is only following 23 out of her 3.25 million followers!!! And let's see how many people there are in the entertainment industry. By you saying that "exactly 80 percent" follow people back, that means (as you can list 400 celebs) that there are only 500 celebrities in the world...which seems quite flawed. Don't get so bent out of shape that Al doesn't follow you. It isn't really a big deal, because if he did follow you, it's not like you are going to get invited to his house to hang out every Saturday.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Song Dust
Occasional

Post by Song Dust »

I like the way Al runs his twitter account. It's directly from him and doesn't cry out for followers by baiting people. I think if he followed 5 million fans back he'd get sick of it and eventually lose interest in it (I know I would). In actual fact, he seems to really enjoy social media and is gracious enough to share elements of his life quite frequently with us. For me, just knowing that he likes social media and keeps up-to-date with his twitter/instagram makes me happy as there's always a good chance he's read one (or more) of my replies and I'm perfectly happy with that, even if he doesn't directly acknowledge it. :D
4/10/15 ~ First concert and meeting Al! <3
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

offbeatbryce wrote:George Lopez even follows me and DMed me once with a personal video.
:lookaround: :vomit:

Conan O'Brien only follows 1 person, and the choice was made at random back in 2010. It's not even his wife or anything, just some random lady. Everyone is different in the way they follow people on Twitter, especially real comedians.

I also don't think it really matters that Al doesn't follow fans on Twitter, since he reads all the replies directly sent to him anyway, so he's seeing everything he needs to see.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

Why does it matter what other celebrities and musicians do? And even then, although there are many that do follow back, there are also a lot who don't. Everyone is free to run their Twitter the way they like.

Personally, I don't need Al to follow me back. I don't need him to see every word I say (because 1. it's not a lot and 2. it's not very interesting) and besides that I already have enough lame claims to fame. :accordion:
Love and peace.
ziddersroofurry

Post by ziddersroofurry »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but having a large number of followers on social media can lend a celebrities 'brand' more value. This is why a lot of musicians and celebs do so. It gives them a bit more leverage when attempting to get more money out of their label or a new contract. Twitter and social media in general are the 'hot' thing right now. Topics that trend get a lot of attention and this is better (and cheaper) than paying for advertising. It's why you see a lot of celebrities doing things like the ice bucket challenge. While I'm sure many of them do it for altruistic reasons it doesn't hurt that it gets and keeps their name out there.

I'm not saying it's why all of them do it or that it should be taken as a bad thing (I'm not that cynical yet). Just that you shouldn't expect every celeb to follow you. Nobody popular with hundreds never mind millions of followers has enough time to devote to every single fan. Nor should you take knowing that to many of them you're part of a statistic they show labels. After all-it's one way of helping that artist continue doing whatever it is you love them doing.

As far as Al goes he's never seemed the type to be in it for the fame or money. I think he has a certain way of appreciating his fans and perhaps he considers adding a ton of people for reasons like those I've mentioned to go against his own sense of personal or professional ethics. I don't know him so I won't speak for him.
"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased—thus do we refute entropy." -Spider Robinson
offbeatbryce
Occasional

Post by offbeatbryce »

ziddersroofurry wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but having a large number of followers on social media can lend a celebrities 'brand' more value. This is why a lot of musicians and celebs do so. It gives them a bit more leverage when attempting to get more money out of their label or a new contract. Twitter and social media in general are the 'hot' thing right now. Topics that trend get a lot of attention and this is better (and cheaper) than paying for advertising. It's why you see a lot of celebrities doing things like the ice bucket challenge. While I'm sure many of them do it for altruistic reasons it doesn't hurt that it gets and keeps their name out there.

I'm not saying it's why all of them do it or that it should be taken as a bad thing (I'm not that cynical yet). Just that you shouldn't expect every celeb to follow you. Nobody popular with hundreds never mind millions of followers has enough time to devote to every single fan. Nor should you take knowing that to many of them you're part of a statistic they show labels. After all-it's one way of helping that artist continue doing whatever it is you love them doing.

As far as Al goes he's never seemed the type to be in it for the fame or money. I think he has a certain way of appreciating his fans and perhaps he considers adding a ton of people for reasons like those I've mentioned to go against his own sense of personal or professional ethics. I don't know him so I won't speak for him.
I've wondered that to. However If Al did follow fans he wouldn't be stuck with reading things he doesn't want to. Twitter's help section says that Verified Accounts have special streams to only show what they want.
offbeatbryce
Occasional

Post by offbeatbryce »

IFoundMyYankochicks wrote:Also, you haven't told us how you found out that 80% of celebrities follow their fans back. :?
I never said it was a fact. I read that it's possible because of how many celebs do follow their fans