Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Which is correct?

Wow-ay
18
58%
Whoa-way
13
42%
 
Total votes: 31

User avatar
anthontherun
Be jealous.
Posts: 17702
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:41 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by anthontherun »

Sailor-Polka-Moon wrote:/teamWHOA-way because it sorta just rolls off the tongue easier
When all is said and done, this is ultimately what it comes down to for me. It just sounds better. Oddly enough, if I saw "woway" as a word, I would probably lean towards the wow-ay pronunciation. But there's something about seeing it in all caps that makes me want to split the WO and WAY.

User avatar
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Posts: 17885
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:09 am
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015
Location: Metuchen, NJ

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by Jigawatt »

I was for WHOA-way before I was against it. I'm a flip-flopper, apparently.

I was converted to Team WOW-ay at some point in the mid to late 00's.
Keep Calm And Polka On
http://www.cafepress.com/weirdalstar.655276710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!

User avatar
Muldernscully
Addicted
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: Roy, Utah

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by Muldernscully »

mellow weasel wrote:
Muldernscully wrote:Wow. I never thought of pronouncing it WOW-AY. That would split up Weird Al Yankovic, which makes no sense to me. World Of------Weird Al Yankovic vs. World of Weird--------Al Yankovic. But, to each his own, I guess.
There's no splitting in either pronunciation :? . They're not saying "wow" and "ay" as seperate words :lol: . It's only a matter of how you pronounce letter "o" (as in "low" or in "down"), "way" part always sounds the same.
So, what you're saying is that the argument should be wow-way vs. whoah-way, since the way is not split.
Last edited by Muldernscully on Wed May 06, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mellow weasel
Obsessed
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Lithuania (Europe)

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by mellow weasel »

Muldernscully wrote:So, what your saying is that the argument should be wow-way vs. whoah-way, since the way is not split.
I'm saying it's /woʊ.eɪ/ vs /waʊ.eɪ/. wow-ay and whoah-way is just a simplified way to write pronunciations so that everyone can understand. The discussion isn't about how you write a pronunciation, it's about how you SAY it :stupid:

Also "you're saying" :wordcrimes:

User avatar
Muldernscully
Addicted
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: Roy, Utah

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by Muldernscully »

mellow weasel wrote:
Muldernscully wrote:So, what your saying is that the argument should be wow-way vs. whoah-way, since the way is not split.
I'm saying it's /woʊ.eɪ/ vs /waʊ.eɪ/. wow-ay and whoah-way is just a simplified way to write pronunciations so that everyone can understand. The discussion isn't about how you write a pronunciation, it's about how you SAY it :stupid:

Also "you're saying" :wordcrimes:
Oops. Haven't made that mistake in a while.

minnick27
Off The Deep End
Posts: 6487
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:00 am
Location: philly
Contact:

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by minnick27 »

My wife said wow ay. I'm now divorced
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ

User avatar
anthontherun
Be jealous.
Posts: 17702
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:41 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by anthontherun »

minnick27 wrote:My wife said wow ay. I'm now divorced
I know some guys would put up with that kind of thing, but frankly I can't imagine why.

SecondaryCharacter
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:44 pm

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by SecondaryCharacter »

Quite honestly, I just call it the Weird Al Forum.

senorconebra
Addicted
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)
Location: ma
Contact:

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by senorconebra »

I say wow-ay but whenever I talk about it no one ever seems to understand what i'm saying so I have to say the "World of Weird Al Yankovic Forum" in its entirety, so they kind of understand what I'm talking about
conk or bepis

User avatar
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Posts: 24279
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:19 am
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: Wow-ay VS Whoa-way: Fight of the Century

Post by Teh Dingo »

Bob. It's pronounced Bob.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?

Post Reply