Al's Military Uniform on the Mandatory Fun Cover

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted
Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Fan Artistry - Traditional (2015)

Al's Military Uniform on the Mandatory Fun Cover

Post by Sailor-Polka-Moon »

I was just a-googling for some pictures of Monsieur General over there and came across a discussion -- and dissection -- of the type of military chic Al is rocking on the cover of Mandatory Fun.

Look! http://observationdeck.io9.com/what-is- ... 1615073797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems I was way off and it's not a Soviet or Russian uniform at all! More like US Marines. Very cool.
It's the way his hair is done that gives the Russian touch. ♡☆

Thought it was really cool and just wanted to share. ♡
Ai to warai no! SAILOR POLKA ☆ MOON!
Tsuki ni kawatte-- tanoshi mazettangeru!

8*11*15 - first concert ever ~ ♡ mandatory world tour 2015 ♡
6*9*16 - second time around ~ ♡ ♡ mandatory world tour 2016 ♡ ♡
Abbeybunny
Die-hard Fan

Re: Al's Military Uniform on the Mandatory Fun Cover

Post by Abbeybunny »

Interesting
Just your ordinary run-of-the-mill fangirl

6/21/15: First Weird Al concert!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

I've seen this article quite a while ago. I don't remember how I found it, but my safest bet would be that someone mentioned it here
Sailor-Polka-Moon wrote:It's the way his hair is done that gives the Russian touch. ♡☆
I don't see how his hair gives any Russian touch. My image of Russians doesn't go with long hair at all :D
Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted

mellow weasel wrote:I don't see how his hair gives any Russian touch. My image of Russians doesn't go with long hair at all :D
Al has a sorta "old world" look to his face and profile, something very east Europe (Yugoslavian on his father's side, remember?) and beautiful.
this feature is brought out extremely well when his hair is pulled back, which therefore gave me the impression of the strong Soviet or Russian soldier.

This commentary on the article helped too:
Dammit. And I thought he looked so authentic with the hair cut and all... ;)
The "cascading locks of wavy brunette hair" look was first popularized by Trotsky . . ..

mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Sailor-Polka-Moon wrote: Al has a sorta "old world" look to his face and profile, something very east Europe (Yugoslavian on his father's side, remember?) and beautiful.
this feature is brought out extremely well when his hair is pulled back, which therefore gave me the impression of the strong Soviet or Russian soldier.
<...>
The "cascading locks of wavy brunette hair" look was first popularized by Trotsky . . ..
I guess I was having more modern day russians in mind, something like these :lol: - as you can see, "beautiful" isn't the first thing that comes to mind:
(these might be Lithuanians, but this style came from Russians, and their faces also have a Russian vibe. I can't put my finger on it, but in some way our an Russian people look alike - sometimes I turn on TV and I can instantly tell it's either Russian or Lithuanian movie well before people start speaking - somehow they look different from Americans/Germans/Brits/etc. Sorry for off-topic :lol: )
Burger
Regular

Post by Burger »

I currently have a russian hair style. Russian women are infamous for aging quickly.
Currently serving one year in grammar school for word crimes
Abbeybunny
Die-hard Fan

Post by Abbeybunny »

Sailor Polka Moon, you'd better stop goin' on about his hair or else you'd have to move this to the drooling topic!
Just your ordinary run-of-the-mill fangirl

6/21/15: First Weird Al concert!
Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted

mellow weasel- I see! XD Thanks for the enlightenment, it's always cool to learn about other cultures. <3

Abbey - HAHA whoops!! Sorry, sorry! Maybe Military!Al can teach me something about discipline and proper forum behavior~ :lol:

---

On a related note...
Even though he was going for the whole old military propaganda thing... I love how Al in this uniform (especially now that we know it's an American one) kinda reminds you of his dad, who served in WWII. Al showed us his dad's medals once, I believe on Twitter or Instagram.
The polka/parody hero honoring his father the war hero, in a subtle way. :inlove: So sweet.

tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

mellow weasel wrote: I guess I was having more modern day russians in mind, something like these :lol: - as you can see, "beautiful" isn't the first thing that comes to mind
HEY!

I'm ugly and I'm proud.

:ph34r:
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

I was scrolling through the local news right now and a picture of our military chief (not sure if that's proper translation) cracked me up because his uniform had oak leaves on his collar, and I remembered how the author of this article have never seen anything like that :lol: . Of course the style of the leaves is different, but I couldn't help thinking about Al's uniform :rolleyes: