All Of The Polkas In A Row

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

All Of The Polkas In A Row

Post by TMBJon »

I am guessing I am not the only person to have done this, but have you ever listened to every Weird Al polka in chronological order back-to-back? If you've never done it, definitely try it out sometime. It starts out pretty much as the same listening experience as when you hear just one polka in a row, but about halfway through it gets to be pretty intense and you gain a new meta-perspective on polka medleys, Weird Al's catalog, and pop music in general. I don't think Al ever intended the style of music he invented with Polkas On 45 to be listened to for close to an hour straight!! :wacko:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: All Of The Polkas In A Row

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Someone on YouTube made a mix using all of the polkas, editing it so that it doesn't stop between songs. Though they included Polkamon, which shouldn't be in there with them. Search "Weird Al Polka Megamix".
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

I have just such a playlist on my iPod with all of Al's polkas (including Bohemian Polka and Polkamon) in chronological order, though I usually have it on shuffle when I actually listen to it. (I also have a separate playlist, also chronological, consisting of songs Al's used in polkas, as well as another one dedicated to parody targets, but that's beside the point.)

Since I often go to sleep listening to music, it was inevitable that eventually I would listen to this playlist at bedtime. I learned the hard way that a polka is not particularly relaxing music, and an hour's worth of it will ensure you get no sleep at all.

By the way, the name of my playlist? "Polka Dots" :P
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

Bruce the Duck wrote:Someone on YouTube made a mix using all of the polkas, editing it so that it doesn't stop between songs. Though they included Polkamon, which shouldn't be in there with them. Search "Weird Al Polka Megamix".
I can clean my house twice if I play that! The segues are pretty well done.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I remember back it the days of cassette tapes I put together an entire tape of Al's polkas for my long drive to and from junior college. I think it only went up through Off the Deep End or maybe Alapalooza (at the latest), but that was still almost an album's worth of songs. I haven't done it recently, though. Once MF drops, I'll probably create a new polka playlist that caps off with NOW That's What I Call a Polka! (Or NTWICAP).
mallen

Post by mallen »

I put his polkas into my party shuffle list when I have friends over. People are never not entertained.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

mallen wrote:I put his polkas into my party shuffle list when I have friends over. People are never not entertained.
So true! :online:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

My favorite thing to do when I get stuck in traffic jams is to roll down the windows and blast some of Al's polkas. I get the strangest looks. :lol: Is that tacky?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

It's a little tacky, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't done that, too.
And Peggy