Correctly Guessing Al Parodies

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Correctly Guessing Al Parodies

Post by mrmeadows »

While we've all been speculating about what the "Fancy" parody is going to be ("Manly"? "Facebook"? "Khaleesi"?) over at the MF topic, it got me to thinking if anyone here has ever correctly guessed one of Al's parody titles/concepts prior to the new album being released?

This only happened with me once, a long time ago. Sort of. A friend of mine and I knew Al was coming out with the Even Worse album and pretty much agreed he would be doing another MJ parody, and that it would be a spoof of "Bad". (We may have gotten a running start on knowing that, since I think Dr. Demento may have basically announced this). I think my friend was the first to suggest "Fat", and I said I thought that could actually work, although at the time I wondered if he might steer clear of it since he might offend those who might be overweight. Still, we both died when we saw the "Fat" video when it debuted on Al-TV!

Other than that, I've not been very successful at predicting Al's parodies. (And even then, it was really my friend who predicted "Fat"). Anyone here have a better track record at it?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Correctly Guessing Al Parodies

Post by Big Spoon »

I've never been able to guess a track parodied and the subject matter ahead of time. That's pretty cool, mrmeadows.
And Peggy
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Well, it was different then. Dr. D. had basically said on one of his MTV music video specials (remember those?!) that Al was going to be releasing an album called Even Worse and that it would be parodying MJ. Didn't take too much to figure out that "Even Worse" was a play off "Bad" (I remember one of us actually theorized maybe the SONG was also called "Even Worse"!), at which point it was just a matter of rattling off "Bad" rhymes and near-rhymes. So guessing the target song wasn't all that difficult in that case.

I'll tell you what, though...we never could have guessed how fantastic and mind-blowing the VIDEO for "Fat" was going to be!
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

I'd have to search for it, but there was a thread I read a week or so ago from the Poodle Hat era about parody targets, and Eminem, Avril, and Nelly were all guessed within the first few pages.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Yes, but I'm talking about guessing not only the artist, but what the actual parody would be. E.g. "I bet Al parodies Nelly on his new PH album, and he turns 'Hot in Herre' into 'Rotten Here'."

With all the speculation and "Fancy" guessing going on, I wonder just how historically bad we all are at nailing the parodies. :P
Last edited by mrmeadows on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

mrmeadows wrote:Yes, but I'm talking about guessing not only the artist, but what the parody would be. E.g. "I bet Al parodies Nelly on his new PH album, and he turns 'Hot in Herre' into 'Rotten Here'."
You'd have to be psychic or extremely lucky to correctly guess that correctly.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

JEDM wrote: You'd have to be psychic or extremely lucky to correctly guess that correctly.
That's sort of my point with this thread...if any of us actually guesses correctly what Al does with "Fancy" it might be a first.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I seem to recall I predicted "Ode To A Superhero" would be about Spider-Man, when all I knew about it was Al was doing a parody of "Piano Man."

Dave

edit: I might have also known the title..... can't remember.... :think:
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I correctly predicted that "Another Tattoo" would be a parody of "Tattoo" by Jordin Sparks.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

When I saw the title "Confessions Part III" I nailed it as an Usher parody. Just a gut instinct but it was right!