weird al permission from record label???

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

bryce87
Obsessed

weird al permission from record label???

Post by bryce87 »

This is baffling to me and let me explain. IN the past I've gotten permission make song parodies which Im' currently working. I have paid the license fees etc for these parodies. Why is is that Al says sometimes the record label of James Blunt for example denied permission? I get permission from the songwriters and publishers and never the label and I'm told by the publishers I don't need to ask the record label. Is Al doing something different or am I confused?
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: weird al permission from record label???

Post by Killingsworth »

In Blunt's case, his label felt that it was too early in his career for a parody and putting too much publicity on "You're Pitiful" was going to make Blunt into a one hit wonder.

Gaga's manager said no, but it was later revealed that she herself said yes and her manager made his decision without her input.

Eminem (or possibly his manager) tried to prevent a "Couch Potato" video in order to protect his own image.

Sensing a pattern here? It seems to me that whenever a representative for any artist tries to block Al, it's more for image/publicity reasons than legal/business reasons.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
bryce87
Obsessed

Post by bryce87 »

That's what I thought because Al would need permission from the label if he was using the actual master recording which hes not lol
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I believe Al said something along the lines of, the reason he released "You're Pitiful" as a free download is because James Blunt himself approved it and seemed to have no issue with it. The saddest part is, didn't Al try to include it on the Essential WAY set but was told that under no circumstances would Atlantic Records ever approve of a commercial release? Like, Blunt's career is already in the toilet; why does he still need to be protected?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Because it proved their point.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ