Next Al convention and/or fan get-together discussion

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

WeirdMary0427
Obsessed

Next Al convention and/or fan get-together discussion

Post by WeirdMary0427 »

There's been a good bit of talk about this on Facebook lately, so I thought I'd be the one to make a topic about it on here. I understand that someone has to step in and take the lead when it comes to making something like this happen, but there's no harm in keeping the discussion going, I think. I'm not in a situation where I could be the leader, but I like talking about it and thinking about it because I've gotten to know a good amount of people in this community via the interwebs and I'm anxious to meet a lot of you and do fun, crazy Al fan things. Plus, I've seen snippets of video from past conventions and they just look like such a great time.

The idea of just having an informal get-together was also brought up in the midst of the Facebook discussion, so that's something we can talk about here, too.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Next Al convention and/or fan get-together discussion

Post by minnick27 »

Informal get togethers are out for me. We have regional ones before every concert. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I would not fly across the country just to go to a bunch of us just hanging out. It would have to be something that every step of the way was planned. I guess the Tulsa thing is kind of a mix of the both, where the day is basically planned but not in a way where places had to be rented. But I know that the conventions were a drain on the organizers finances and I'd hate to see someone else go through that again.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Hey WeirdMary0427, thanks for getting the conversation started here! I totally agree with you that there's no harm in keeping it going, even if no one has stepped up with an exact plan yet or offered to take lead. I know I personally tend to do my best thinking out loud... OK, and sometimes my worst, too... but the BEST ideas usually come when I'm bouncing things around with other people because they give me the energy to keep going when things get hard to figure out... and that's when I start thinking outside the box!

I love how brilliantly this Tulsa thing has come together... but am so sad because I'm going to miss it!!! So count me in as a person who is still hungry for fan gatherings (whether informal or formal, small or big, in conjunction with the next tour (whenever that is!) or during the lull between tours...)

Of the conversations on FB, I think the only new thing I contributed (or maybe it's not even new, but I hadn't personally noticed it mentioned before) was wondering out loud what the potential was for using Kickstarter or something like that to raise funds for some type of fan event or convention thing. Admittedly, it was just a topic for discussion and I was just throwing it out there, because I don't have experience. I was just remembering this friend of mine who recently raised over $10,000 in an online campaign (though not through Kickstarter specifically) to put her original play on tour. I was blown away that I had a friend who got over $10,000 to do something they love and didn't have to take out a loan or win the lottery to get it. I know there are some people in life who just luck out, sure. But much more often than that, I believe there are smart and savvy people out there who figure out what they need to do to make their dreams come true. They only appear lucky. It's food for thought... what is really possible? What are some cool ways that Al's most devoted fans could go about celebrating their fandom together? Is it within the realm of possibility to set that up? How much would it cost? Who would be willing to fund such an event? I'm sure my friend spent a lot of time thinking of the best strategies she could use to get what she needed. She's a smart one, that's for sure!! Too bad she isn't an Al fan too. :D Although Al's fan base is pretty smart...

Anyway, like I said, I'm potentially up for any event on any scale, even something very informal at someone's house, but committing to it would probably depend on the usual factors, like where it was located, what it entailed, etc. As for larger scale ideas like conventions, I am happy to contribute in the discussion (why not?), and if things actually get to a point where they start getting semi-serious, I am willing to take on some sort of responsibility or significant role, as long as I'm not alone in it!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I really like the idea of Kickstarting the whole thing, but it's already been said (somewhere) that we absolutely need to know what the entire event will be comprised of. Especially for the benefit of the backers.

On that note, not all of the backers will be going to the convention, so we have to keep in mind that it's necessary to give them an incentive to donate. I remember one of the big things from Alfest was the DVD. (Hey Jon, can I still get me one of those?)
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

I'm still not sure what all is going on in Tulsa. Are we doing that UHF tour through rsu.tv and what else? Anyone know where we're meeting for dinner before the show?

As for a fan convention, I think to get the most people interested, and willing to come across country, Al would have to make an appearance. I think he came to one of the early Al-Con's, but hadn't made an appearance at any other. If we want Al involved, then it probably needs to be held in LA. Then, we need to figure out what types of activities everyone wants. I thought the most recent AlFest was really well planned out for activities, although, I'm sure those involved have ideas to improve on some ideas, keep some the same, or change completely to something better, so that input needs to be involved, as well.

I think it's definitely a worthwhile thing to talk about. I wish that I had been able to make it to AlFest.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

He went to 1 and 3
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

I wasn't at any of the Al Cons or Al Fest, but would love to see some footage or lists of the types of activities held to use as a sort of starting point for coming up with 'the next big thing' that people want to see/experience!

Will search the forum for clues, but if anyone has any recommended links (or copies of convention footage they wouldn't mind sharing), that would be super helpful! I remember a few details (such as Al's dryer lint being auctioned off), but not a lot, so it would be interesting to look at what has happened up to this point... the whole picture (or as much of it as possible).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

- The auctions
- The shadow cast (which I think started with Alfest)
- Live music performances (by other members of the band or other musical comedians)
- UHF panel
- Bermuda presentation (those seem ESPECIALLY awesome)

These are the things I remember reading about. Most of these should cost a lot of money, and the one that doesn't requires some real dedication on our part. I think a big Q&A with anyone involved professionally with Al, be it band member or otherwise, would be pretty cool. I can't think of anything else right now.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Hey folks, I would like to suggest that anyone who is really interested in taking the lead role on this get in touch with Vikki (like_im_27_again) and be sure you understand exactly what kind of commitment you are signing up for. I know that Vikki did a LOT of work to make Al Fest come together, way more than she is even given credit for, and of course as others have said she also devoted a lot of financial resources, much of which will never be recouped.

I personally do not have the time nor the capital to take the lead on this exciting project, though I would love to take a lead role such as program coordinator responsible for helping to plan/organize the day's activities. I think I have a good grasp as to what succeeded and what did not at Al Fest, and would love to work on developing an itinerary for a future convention.

As for ordering copies of the Al Fest 2009 DVD set, I would also recommend reaching out to Vikki, who was handling the payments and distribution of those DVD sets the last time they were for sale. She would know more about whether there are extra copies still available. I hope you enjoy it. That was a really fun DVD to put together!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

I'd love to help out, even I wasn't able to attend, kinda like what Jon said, like, coordinating and stuff
conk or bepis