HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ALREADY?!

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Re: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ALREADY?!

Post by ludovica64 »

OK Friday is the day... http://odessalil.tumblr.com/post/543299 ... -nerdy-the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surely someone among you will go on a fact finding mission... for the enlightenment of forum members of course....

And the following day.... San Luis Obispo!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1388196358061683/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Looks like @UHJeff will be attending this. I have asked him to report back afterwards. Could be amusing:)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
UHJeff

Post by UHJeff »

Oh, hi there.

Yes, I did attend last night. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I had pretty low expectations about this, as it just sounded like a random and terrible combination--like a caramel and salmon sundae. Also, as a matter of full disclosure, I'm a gay...so, I'm not super interested in stripping ladies.

My Al-Pal Adriana joined me, along with some co-workers who live near the theater (one of whom is an Al-fan--the other is simply a fan of women taking their clothes off.)

If anyone plans on seeing this show, read no further! Standard Spoiler Warning In Effect

As I mentioned, I wasn't sure what to expect...but I was frightful and doubtful and not at all drunk. Then the hostess came out and did a little striptease to White & Nerdy. It was kind of awkward, sort of interesting, and very, very strange. But hey...the music was fun!

Next up on stage, a woman with an unruly blue wig performed to the Theme from Rocky XIII. She was pretty hardcore and, as she undressed, she revealed a bra made up of (what else?) one rye and one kaiser. My co-worker leaned over and said, "I feel like I'm in a mental institution." I sort of agreed with him, but I was totally on board by this point. This girl was hilarious.

And the show just got better and better. The performers were all incredibly talented at their craft--and super creative with their props and costumes. And, above all, they were really, really funny.

I'll try to give you a rundown of the show:

BOB: A blonde bombshell came up, did a verse with hand-written signs featuring the lyrics of the song, which she tossed aside. She quickly abandoned this idea in favor of tossing her clothing off, revealing hand-written messages on her limbs (including one that read "UHF on VHS" which drove the White & Nerdy crowd pretty wild.)

TRAPPED IN THE DRIVE-THRU: This performer was, I believe, originally from Tokyo. She came on stage with a sandwich board that featured the name of the song (as it looks at the top of the video) She performed the second section of the song only--and used hand-puppets to re-enact the lines of the song. The boy puppet was wearing a hard hat and construction gear, while the blonde girl puppet was dressed like some sort of country music star. I grabbed a photo with the performer later (after she got dressed again...with the sandwich board, of course.) You can see it on my instagram, if you're so inclined.

FAT: This woman had been walking around the club, being generally insane from the moment we arrived. She was wearing a gray hoodie to start, but that was quickly pulled off to reveal her bulky shiny black pleather costume--complete with buckles, of course. As she stripped further, the source of her bulk was revealed: Her costume was stuffed with bags of potato chips and packets of Choco-pies™, which she chucked into the appreciative crowd. Soon, she was down to little more than a tiny bottom and black tape across her boobs, arranged to cover her nipples while spelling out: XXXL. One of my favorites of the night.

:spam: : If you've ever wondered what it would look like if a woman stripped while prancing around inside of a wearable can of Spam (made of felt) this was definitely the performance for you.

THIS IS THE LIFE: Her costume was flapper-esque, and she performed her tease with the aid of two green standard burlesque-esque feathered-fans.

POLKA FACE: Obviously, this woman took the stage in a traditional German beer wench costume. She also had a gigantic box of props that she pulled from continuously (which was no easy feat, as she was also very busy taking her clothes off...) She was effing crazy and effing hilarious. One of the funniest and best performances of the night.

LIKE A SURGEON: I'm sure you'll have no trouble imagining a sexy doctor operating on a stuffed animal while seductively dancing with a stethoscope.

EAT IT: Another highlight! This fiery redhead came out dressed as a 50's era housewife, and, once she lost her dress, began teasing the audience with two turquoise lunch trays, ultimately revealing her panties which read "EAT IT" on the front...and "Hot Lunch" on the back.

ANOTHER TATTOO: The only male performer of the night came out in drag, and slowly removed not only his dress to reveal his many tattoos, but also his wig to reveal his shaved head. Oh, and he removed his fake butt to showcase his real one. Sexy? Yes. Hilarious? Absolutely. Terrifying? For sure.

ONE MORE MINUTE: The show reached new a new high with this woman, who also used clever props as she slowly disrobed--it's hard to sell sexiness while covered in leeches, but she did a grand job.

AMISH PARADISE: The creator of this event came up and closed the show with her portrayal of an Amish woman, complete with butter-churning, humility, and a merkin in the shape of an Amish beard.

There was a lot of crazy in this show--but also a lot of thought and a lot of effort. And you know what? It was awesome. Comedy and stripping should go together more! (But I'm still not eating a salmon caramel sundae.)

xo
--UHJeff
Twitter: UHJeff
IG: THEUHJeff
Last edited by UHJeff on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

:lol: Probably the best first post in WOWAY history. Great review. It sounds like they really did their research. I'd love to hear what Al thinks.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

THANK YOU Jeff!! I love you even more than ever! :D Sounds like you were just the man for this challenging job! :D
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Freakin' awesome....I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved that review. It sounds like it was a very interesting night.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Wow...like the contestants on Cupcake Wars, these people really knew their "deep cuts". Good review!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
PicklesKintaro

Post by PicklesKintaro »

Hey Folks,

Pickles Kintaro here and I am the founder of Tight & Nerdy: The First All Weird Al-inspired burlesque troupe. Thanks UHJeff for coming to the show and for giving such a detailed review. I am a huge, lifelong fan of Weird Al and these shows are very near and dear to my heart. All of the ladies involved also are big fans.

Weird Al tweeted my first flyer for the show in Oakland. I was lucky enough to meet him last week and I think he is enjoying what we are doing. He has seen a dvd of the first show and was super sweet.

We will be bringing the show back to the Bay Area in the fall and touring it in the Midwest and Northeast next year. I hope I get to meet some of you there.

XO

Pickles
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Northeast? Make it within an hour of Philly and we got a deal!
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

Please keep us posted! I was traveling and couldn't make it to the Los Angeles show but will tri for the Bay Area, and hope for another SoCaal date. Jeff, outstanding review! Really makes me want to see this.

Cheers, Diva
Somehow this sounded like the perfect unexpected combination, like meatballs and grape jelly
PicklesKintaro wrote:Hey Folks,

Pickles Kintaro here and I am the founder of Tight & Nerdy: The First All Weird Al-inspired burlesque troupe. Thanks UHJeff for coming to the show and for giving such a detailed review. I am a huge, lifelong fan of Weird Al and these shows are very near and dear to my heart. All of the ladies involved also are big fans.

Weird Al tweeted my first flyer for the show in Oakland. I was lucky enough to meet him last week and I think he is enjoying what we are doing. He has seen a dvd of the first show and was super sweet.

We will be bringing the show back to the Bay Area in the fall and touring it in the Midwest and Northeast next year. I hope I get to meet some of you there.

XO

Pickles