Does Al take private bookings (just a thought)?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Does Al take private bookings (just a thought)?

Post by Killingsworth »

sethmartin wrote:The "friends only" verse must be non-family friendly. Now I want to hear it!!!!
...especially considering what Al considers "non-family friendly" in terms of his own work
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

HalifaxKat wrote:I would gladly chip in on a Jim West solo gig if there were other diehard fans in my area who wanted to see if they could book him. Or a private Al gig for that matter, as a unique sort of experience.
Especially if there's a day off near an Al show near you, I bet it wouldn't be hard to book Jim. And if you decide to go for it, don't forget to try to get the word out among whatever fans of Hawaiian music might be in your neck of the woods.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:Especially if there's a day off near an Al show near you, I bet it wouldn't be hard to book Jim. And if you decide to go for it, don't forget to try to get the word out among whatever fans of Hawaiian music might be in your neck of the woods.
If I waited for an Al show to come near me, I think I'd be waiting several years! But other than that, yes, those would definitely be the best circumstances under which to try to book Jim.

I wonder how much he charges for a solo gig and how much Al charges for a solo appearance (of some sort) and what their minimum requirements are! Very curious indeed. Even just a really rough ballpark idea. I haven't a clue.

As for Jim, he would have no problem finding fans in Toronto -- we need warm Hawaiian music to cheer up our cold winter (and now spring) blues! ;)
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Al is a bargain at $27,000
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

minnick27 wrote:Al is a bargain at $27,000
I think that figure is outdated. I've been lurking on the Bonnaroo discussion board, and somebody there has a relative who works for a company that considered booking Al.... I think the amount was closer to a hundred thou.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Thats actually the number I figured, but had to go with the quote
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

I assume the 6 digit figure is for a musical performance -- interesting! I wonder what it costs for him to just appear somewhere and not have to do anything except walk into a room, smile a lot, and shake hands with people. I know the regular concert tour meet-and-greets are free, but he must have some standards in place as to where he would agree (and not agree) to make that kind of appearance outside of a concert situation.

The private birthday party scenario (mentioned at the top of the thread) is such an amazing, interesting concept! Before this thread was started, I would have guessed (as a wild guess based on no knowledge of the situation whatsoever) that he'd either not feel comfortable doing things like birthday parties (because he's too big a star) or else would feel comfortable, but only if there were an actual performance involved (in other words, not just to be paid for his presence, charming and welcome as it may be). But then, presumably that would mean the full band, which would bring it back again to the unreachable (well, for most people) 6 figure cost! But can you imagine how COOL it would be if he did do the occasional private solo appearance and charged much less for that than a regular (full band) concert, and you and all your friends were rich enough to afford to have him at your birthday party?! Even for just one quick accordion-only song, or a set of Mr. Frump, Another One Rides The Bus, My Balogna, or that rumored extra-gory version of Melanie? Hahaha, that would be SWEET!!! Best Birthday Ever.

Maybe it really does happen. If so, I guess he might charge whatever a star of his status would normally charge. Whatever that figure might be. Um, maybe the $27,000?? If so, if you had a hundred friends who were willing to chip in for a generous birthday gift at $270 a piece... you'd be all set!

:party:

I have no idea about that, though... maybe someone else has a better guess...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Hey folks, I have no idea what Al charges to do a public or private show, but I guarantee it's a lot more than $27k.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

This article looks fascinating and right on topic (well, minus Al directly). Haven't even read it yet, but it should give an idea of celebrity fees and where Al's range might lie in comparison.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/celebri ... px#slide=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TMBJon wrote:Hey folks, I have no idea what Al charges to do a public or private show, but I guarantee it's a lot more than $27k.
― Albert Einstein
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

TMBJon wrote:Hey folks, I have no idea what Al charges to do a public or private show, but I guarantee it's a lot more than $27k.
Its just something Al had said many years ago