8/6/2016 Hudson Gardens And Events Center - Littleton, CO

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

8/6/2016 Hudson Gardens And Events Center - Littleton, CO

Post by Killingsworth »

Does anyone else know about this one? This is apparently a very last minute addition to the touring schedule, but I'm really excited for it. I'm making plans to go as it's not too far from me. I really hope I can do the Mandatory Czar experience again!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: 8/6/2016 Hudson Gardens And Events Center - Littleton, C

Post by Killingsworth »

Just got tickets to this. Odd thing is that when I tried to purchase VIP tickets form CID entertainment and the link from that site took me directly to Altitude tickets where you can ONLY get $46 general admission tickets. Oh well, at least I'll be able to get a real good seat! Also, this appears to be an intimate outdoor venue with lawn seats and a lot of the Google results for the Hudson Gardens and Events center show that it's mostly used for weddings when there is not a concert there. I'll be pretty bummed if I miss out on seeing him do Tacky (again) and (to a lesser extent) WBUL, but if this is gonna be his only Colorado show in 2016...fine.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Hope you have a great time Casey! Wish I was still in Colorado, otherwise I would have made a shot to have tried to see you at the show! But it'll be fun, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Thanks!
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Be sure to share your experience Casey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I'll share whatever tidbits and details I fell are worth sharing. I'll probably post the set list if AL cuts a bunch from this.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I went to this show with my dad and he loved both the old stuff and new stuff. He heaped praise on the band the whole ride home (especially Jim and Ruben). He even called my mom during DTBS and let her listen. He seemed to enjoy Amish Paradise and the unplugged medley the most.

Al performed pretty much the entire set list minus WBUL at this show due to being faced with a massive general admission crowd in an open field. For Tacky, he just started in an area behind the stage (sitting on a bench and not really facing the audience until the Instagram line) and walked around it on Steves' side to the front without really "interacting" with anyone. His polka intro changed in that "are you ready to POLKA?" was a "very serious question" that he really wanted us to "think about" our answer to.

He did accidentally drop his mic during Fat (on the "shadow weighs-a 42 pounds" line, I believe) because his costume got in the way of those crazy hand movements.

I've noticed only a couple rather drastic changes to the costume change clips among the inclusion of the birds/philharmonic CBB sketch and other minor switcheroos. The Fat/FWP/Foil transition in particular is completely different aside from Ghandi II. It now consists of the "Handsome Harbor" clip from CBB, the O sragram clip of Al riding a childs penny opersted horse, two of Als' recent Cartoon Network cameos and his appearance w/Jon Hamm in the new Wet Hot American Summer Netflix series. Also, I love that the CBB "Real Food" sketch has replaced the College Humor Whiplash parody as the clips that leads into the non-acoustic medley.

He seemed to have some mic trouble during SLN also as he didn't quite participate in the guitar sound effects and appeared to be adjusting his mic stand.

Canadian Idiot was played noticeably slower, possibly to make up for lost WBUL time. During the audience participation part of "Yoda", Al said "that was pathetic"

I was able to hear Al better than I could see him due to my apparent inability to get VIP tickets. Plus, we had to stop and pick up two lawn chairs and water bottles (they let you bring in unopened water but not unopened any other type of soft drink apparently) and we had to park so far away (in the parking lot for Arapahoe Community College nearby) we didn't get there early enough to get...y'know, GOOD seats.

Also, I was seated behind the the tech booth where they apparently run the screens and backing tracks so when Al moved across stage left over where Steve was, I could barely see him.

Still, the show was very fun obstructed view and all. My dad went with me to my first Al concert in 2010 so I'I'm glad I was able to share some of my Mandatory World Tour Experience with him. While he went to use the restroom after the show I decided to check out the merchant booth. I got a Lasagna 45 single, an NECA action figure and a keychain.

On the ride home, my dad asked why people were wearing red berets and tin foil hats in the crowd. He indulged me as I explained the entire joke/premise/source material behind the song "Foil" to him as well as the changes to the VIP Czar package second hand to him. Like I said, it was a fun night.
Last edited by Killingsworth on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

Aside from the problems you mentioned, I'm glad you and your father had a great time, Killingsworth! :)

That's interesting that they sold 45s of Lasagna. When I went, they had 45s of Fat.
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Apparently, Suzanne convinced Al to sell some of his old singles. One of our regular posters who goes by the username OneWAY mentioned in his review of Als' gig at the Winspear Opera House show in Texas that Al told him this when he went to get his signed. Don't know why they would br altetnating between Fat and Lasagna ftom show to show, though (unless mat be they just ran out of Fat sIngles at one point and had to switch to sEllington Lasagna ones). He also said they also had cassette singles "up for grabs" at the VIP pretty show party but he did not mention which ones. Also, I added a brief note on video clips to my review.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

Yeah, I love that they added Real Food to the video list. It was a big hit at the show I went to.

I'm guessing they ran out of Fat singles. I considered buying one, but ultimately got the NECA figure, trading card set, and a UHF poster. The merch guy mentioned the singles and the UHF posters being from Al's personal storage, and of course, the UHF posters are original printings, which is amazing. And now I have it personalized and signed, all ready to frame. :)

I actually have the frame, but haven't gotten around to framing it. :lol:

Thanks so much for this write-up! I love reading about everyone's experiences!
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!