6/22/16 Hippodrome Theatre, Baltimore, MD

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

drewdy9999
Regular

6/22/16 Hippodrome Theatre, Baltimore, MD

Post by drewdy9999 »

Who's going to this one? I'll be there! I was at last year's Baltimore show at Pier Six as a Mandatory Czar and it was spectacular. No VIP package this year, but I'm going with a bunch of friends who have never seen Al live before so I'm really excited :tacky: :accordion:
drewdy9999
Regular

Re: 6/22/16 Hippodrome Theatre, Baltimore, MD

Post by drewdy9999 »

...I guess none of you! Lol

The concert was a blast. Seats were only okay; the speakers on the left side of the Hippodrome stage majorly obstructed about a third of the screen, which was sort of a bummer, but luckily the band itself was all easy to see.
I shouldn't expect anything different, but Al and the band's energy was on point tonight. The audience interaction in Wanna B Ur Lovr was my favorite I've ever seen, and I've seen that song done four times now. Also, The Saga Begins had the best variety of costumes I've seen. I think they only go beyond Stormtroopers when there aren't enough Stormtroopers, but this show had Scout troopers, Imperial Guards, and R2D2 in addition to Vader and I loved it.

Waited around with my friends for about an hour and a half after the show in hopes of meeting Al (who I met last summer as part of the VIP experience, but none of my friends had). No luck with Al, but I did get to meet Steve, Jon, and Jim for the first time since 2010, and that was a blast. They are all so admirably kind. Bermuda mentioned to me that 'tonight was a particularly good show' and that he wouldn't say that if it wasn't. I have to agree with him :P

One amusing story that resulted from waiting after the show: I met the stagehand that holds a harmonica for Al in Ode to a Superhero and dresses as Santa Claus in Fat! I don't know his name, but I've been to enough Weird Al shows that I absolutely knew him when I saw him. Just for the fun of it, I asked if I could get a picture with him. He seemed initially confused, but obliged, and that resulted in a few other fans asking for his autograph. I'm not sure if that's ever happened to him, but I hope it was fun for him to be recognized.

What else? The Smells Like Nirvana cheerleaders were pretty out of sync at this show, enough that I found watching them really amusing. Tacky was really neat as Al walked through the inside of the Hippodrome, a theater I've been to many times but I've never seen the backstage of. The guy that Al prompted to sing in Yoda was super flat but didn't give up, so everyone commended his effort. Also bought a Word Crimes t-shirt and the new NECA action figure, which was surprisingly being sold at retail price. Overall 10/10 experience because while not everything was perfect it was still a Weird Al concert, and few things entertain me that much in two hours.