8/29/15 - The Masonic, San Francisco CA

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

remmy
Regular

8/29/15 - The Masonic, San Francisco CA

Post by remmy »

Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah! :ttr: :accordion: :tacky:

Anyone else going to this? I've never been to the Masonic before but it looks like a beautiful venue.
Diva
Addicted

Re: 8/29/15 - The Masonic, San Francisco CA

Post by Diva »

It is tempting. Need to see if my budget would permit the trip.

Cheers, Diva
Happy to see California shows anywhere closer than Arcata
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

:jp: Yahoo!!! Going to this show! I live in Marin so I am happy.
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

Snagged front row seats! This will be my first front row show since the Keswick way back in 2000, which was an awfully fun one for me :)
izarek

Post by izarek »

remmy wrote:Snagged front row seats! This will be my first front row show since the Keswick way back in 2000, which was an awfully fun one for me :)

First time poster here. How'd you snag the tickets? I'm having a tough time through the weirdal.com interface finding any tix. Going to the Masonic page they're not accessible for a couple of days. Would so love to take my whole family to this. I've been exposing them to Weird Al over the last year and they absolutely adore his songs. Since this is the only date we could realistically make, would be a shame to miss out (was hoping there would be more dates in the area and we can't make the Folsom or Modesto show on school nights)

Any advice appreciated! :accordion:
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

izarek wrote:
remmy wrote:Snagged front row seats! This will be my first front row show since the Keswick way back in 2000, which was an awfully fun one for me :)

First time poster here. How'd you snag the tickets? I'm having a tough time through the weirdal.com interface finding any tix. Going to the Masonic page they're not accessible for a couple of days. Would so love to take my whole family to this. I've been exposing them to Weird Al over the last year and they absolutely adore his songs. Since this is the only date we could realistically make, would be a shame to miss out (was hoping there would be more dates in the area and we can't make the Folsom or Modesto show on school nights)

Any advice appreciated! :accordion:
Hi izarek! Welcome to the forum :)

This show's presale went live this morning at 10, and only a limited number of seats were released. The presales tend to sell out quick, but don't despair! There are still a ton of tickets available, and they'll go on sale this Friday at 10am. I also think LiveNation might be doing another presale on Thursday in case you want to check that out. Generally, you'll have the best luck trying to buy tickets as close to the posted onsale time as possible -- I was obsessively refreshing the site starting at 9:55 this morning, so I was able to jump in right when tickets were available to buy.

I hope you and your family are able to get tickets, it's such a fun show!
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

I got tickets to this show, it is going to be the first show for the two friends I'm taking. Terrible seats, but at least I will be here.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Looks like this is the next show on the tour. Al gets a few days of rest.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Muldernscully wrote:Looks like this is the next show on the tour. Al gets a few days of rest.
Actually, this Friday is the next show in Del Mar! I will be there. :accordion: But they're in Tuscon, AZ tonight.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

Wow! What a show!

I went to this one with my buddy Carlos. We arrived at the VIP party right as the polka dance contest was ending. It was held in a weird sort of basement ballroom area of the venue. We wandered around looking at the displays, ate some snacks, used the photobooth, and hung out. I was wearing my military cosplay, which I'd lovingly dubbed "Mandatory Femme" so I entered the costume contest along with about a dozen others. There were some great entries: Like a Surgeon, The Artist Formerly Known As Prince, The Flinstones, White and Nerdy, and a few Tackys and Foils. I survived the dance-off and answered the first trivia question correctly to secure a spot in the final lip sync round.

So, I'm generally a pretty shy and reserved person, but I can rise to the occasion when the situation calls for it. This was one of those times. I was determined to earn the win. So with fake mic in hand, I lip-sunk my little heart out to Word Crimes. I strutted, I shimmied, I worked the crowd. And I won! The prize was a drumhead signed by Al and the whole band. Super cool.

After that, a bunch of VIPers came over to chat with me and take pictures. Tons of nice people. A kid asked me if I was related to Weird Al -- super flattering, though I'm still not exactly sure what made him think I might be, haha.

We enjoyed some more VIP festivities, and then made our way to our seats at about 7:30. We could not have been in a better spot: front row, just to the right of Al's mic, right in front of the stairway to the stage. Sitting next to us was a man and his two late teens/early 20's children, who were also clearly superfans. The dad was cracking jokes with everyone around him, security included. I chatted with some people behind me for a little bit, and complimented a woman on her "I <3 My Pancreas" fanny pack (she got it on sale at the Gap).

The show started promptly at 8. Al made his entrance, crossed right in front of us to get to the stairway, and turned and sang a few lines right in Carlos' face! He was stoked. I wish I'd had my camera at the ready to capture the moment. As they transitioned into Lame Claim To Fame, I could immediately tell this was a GREAT crowd. The energy in the place was electric. Everyone around me was singing and chair-dancing and whooping and laughing the whole time. It was so awesome! I'm sure Al and the band felt it too, as the whole crew looked to be in high spirits.

Pretty much the entire front row was rocking out to every song, and Al definitely played to that, making his way along the stage to sing to various groups of people. Also, there was a lot of pelvic action during this show. It was like a running theme almost. Even at the end of Smells Like Nirvana, when Al was collapsed on the stage, all the lights went out except for a single spotlight centered right on his crotch. I couldn't stop laughing.

And then WBUL happened.

Let me just preface this with: I'm not normally a very fangirly person. But... WBUL sent that notion out the window. Right off the bat, Al looked right at me and sang the "I like your skeletal structure, baby, you're an ectomorph no doubt" line and I broke out into a big goofy grin. He went into the crowd for a while, and sang to a girl who screeeeeeeeamed when he put his face up against hers. On his way back to the stage, I got the beef burrito line and I nodded emphatically when he asked if he was making it perfectly clear. That would have been enough, I was already ecstatic, but then the Jamaican breakdown ended, he tossed his mic stand aside, and I got the entire ending section sung to me! Aaaaaaah! He unbuttoned his shirt at me! He wiped his sweaty chest and flicked it at me! He gyrated and pelvic thrusted at me! I couldn't stop smiling and laughing.

I was swooning. Carlos captured about five seconds of it on video, bless him. Strangers patted me on the back when the song was over. It was INTENSE.

The rest of the show was kind of a blur after that, I was just on cloud nine. Though I do remember Word Crimes being about a billion times more amazing than I even thought possible. I snapped out of my daze during The Saga Begins, feeling kind of sad that the show was almost over but generally very happy and thankful. Yoda and the chant were wonderful as always. The son in the group next to us got the Yoda solo! As the show ended and the house lights came up, Carlos and I both remarked at how incredible an experience it was, and how it was totally worth the crazy Czar price tag, and we hadn't even met Al yet!

We stayed in our seats and were soon ushered into a different (nicer) VIP room to meet Al. The 501st legion came in and patrolled the area. One of the members of the imperial guard actually saluted me! Mad props. Al came out and sat down at his table. He looked exhausted but very happy. When it was my turn to meet him, he looked up, his face softened, and he went, "Hey, nice to see you!" I told him how great the show was and he thanked me for being such a good sport. I was like, "Oh my god, are you kidding? That was awesome." We posed for a picture, he signed my poster and thanked me for coming. I had other things I had wanted to say but my mind was kind of blanking and frankly, the night was so awesome already that I felt like it wasn't necessary anymore. So I thanked him and said goodbye. Carlos was next, and he got to tell Al how his music helped him learn English (he's originally from Chile) which Al seemed to be incredibly touched by.

All in all, definitely my best Al show experience so far. So glad I got to meet him again after all this time. It was totally worth the wait.