10/1/15 Brussels, Belgium ANCIENNE BELGIQUE

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: 10/1/15 Brussels, Belgium ANCIENNE BELGIQUE

Post by Yankomaniac »

HAH, it's okay Al, I'm sure your tired of doing it but it is okay, you can correct her on how to say your name. Funny he never mentioned being the Waffle King. Me and my drummer went for a waffle and then my roadie had a waffle for me, that is hilarious. Wonder if Bermuda had some chicken with his waffles.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Yankomaniac wrote:I'm sure your tired of doing it but it is okay, you can correct her on how to say your name.
Does he ever correct people mispronouncing it in their face? :? I don't think so. I think in her case it's kind of forgivable, because she's Belgian and any non-English European would pronounce it as "-ich", because we hear our local slavs pronouncing their surnames like that. In fact the American pronunciation weirded me out at first.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yup, I have seen him do it before. Not in Europe thus far though. :P
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Marc
Occasional

Post by Marc »

I would even go as far as saying it should've been "yankovič", an the č is commonly pronounced "-itsh" in Europe.

The grapheme Čč (Latin C with háček) is used in various contexts, usually denoting the voiceless postalveolar affricate consonant [t͡ʃ] like the English ch in the word chocolate.
The symbol originates with the 15th century Czech alphabet. From there, it was adopted into the Croatian alphabet, and it's also used in Slovak, Slovenian, Bosnian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Pomak and Berber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marc
Occasional

Post by Marc »

Intestingly, 3 days later Don McLean was performing at the same venue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ggVWIz5c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

That is pretty neat! Considering the odds.
Marc
Occasional

Post by Marc »

If you go to the channel of the guy who video'ed Don McLean, you will see he was at the Mandatory Fun tour as well!

Speaking of which - hear the crowd sing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wHZD1ngi28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;