9/30/15 Amsterdam, Netherlands MELKWEG

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Re: 9/30/15 Amsterdam, Netherlands MELKWEG

Post by WHiZZi »

We just returned home (Seva and me) and it's 2.30ish in the morning here.

It was an absolutely amazing show. Al's vocals were in top condition tonight.

Seva and I arrived in Amsterdam at 17:50 while I expected to arrive much later because of traffic jams. Apparently, everybody was already at Al's concert ;-). We parked the car, I got myself a second mortgage on my house to be able to park and went for some food and a very very short tour in Amsterdam for Seva (first time in NL).

Around 19:45 we arrived at the venue (it opened at 19:30) where there was a huge queue. But of course, I know a guy who know a guy who knows the cousin of the king of the Netherlands who knows the owner of the venue and I was on the guest list, which made life easier and I could get in in the special, empty queue with Seva (ha!).

While Seva was searching for a toilet, I hung up my coat and bought the tour t-shirt, something I didn't do last tour and still regret. We rejoined and got to the stage where Martin (running with dutch windmills) made sure we had a nice spot, center stage and basically second row (all standing places).

The room started to fill up and at 20:30 the famous intro started.

Then a big surprise. The band came up starting Tacky but Al wasn't there. He was outside of the venue while a cameraman was following him singing and walking into the venue while random people of the street where looking quite surprised when Al sang 'Are you pregnant girl or just really fat'. It was awesome to see.

Right now I have trouble focussing the songlist, but he did the famous songs. Al was hitting all (high) notes. The only thing what I noticed is that Gump was lowered a full note. Jon almost lost his sticks during the big solo in the middle, but saved in the end. Al didn't go into the audience for the sexy songs and later I've heard that they removed all the interactions for walking Al into the audience for the Europe tour, because it's all standing venues in clubs.

It was an amazing show and couldn't go any better. At exactly 10.23 pm the show ended (started at 8.30pm) and most people left. The Czar/VIP people and us went to the side to enter the VIP-area. Oddly enough, Seva and I couldn't join them, we had to wait outside. We were lucky to catch Stephen there, he basically left right after the show and I spoke briefly with him.

After a few minutes (all the VIP guests were in) they let Seva and me in and taken to upstairs. Actually, we were taken to the dressing room where Jon, Jim and Rubén were sitting. We got something to drink of them and made a few photos and chatted a bit. Then Al joined us (he was taking a shower) and made photos again and a bit talking. I've never seen Seva so nervous and he was so happy to finally meet his hero, Mr. Al Yankovic. But Seva traveled all the way from St. Petersburg(Russia) just to meet Al today, which we did :)

Then Al had to leave to the VIP/Csar people who were waiting for him. Seva and I were talking with the rest of the band.

A few photo moments later I was asked to pick up my coat, which I did. About the same time Jon and Ruben left and Al was nowhere to be found (VIP-area was empty). I hadn't spoke with Jim so I decided to head back to the rooms. Jim sat there and Al joined us for a bit. We talked about the Netherlands and other things and had a good time. Roughly 11.30pm Al and Jim left the building and so did Seva and I and started the road back to Helmond :)

I'll put up some photos tomorrow, I'm heading to bed now. I'm close to being awake for 20 hours...
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Cool, post some of these pics after you get some sleep. So Al is playing the metal clubs the whole time he's in Europe, or themeparks and not doing Lovr. Kind of sucks he isn't doing an alternate song instead but it is what it is.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Florian Buechting
Occasional

Post by Florian Buechting »

Hey guys,
another gallery of pics from me. I will be in London on Sunday as well - but as I have not afforded the first row VIP stuff (which I maybe should have... ;) ), I don't think I will make too many pictures of that one:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 89050c38ae" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A cool show again, really loved it. Sold out venue, many fans who knew a major part of the lyrics, really great show - look forward to London, where likely many European fans will gather (as it is so easy to travel there from so many European destinations...).

Cheers,
Florian
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

And here are the pictures from Seva and me:
https://goo.gl/photos/4LGUZo9UVojHkBEC9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

WHiZZi wrote:And here are the pictures from Seva and me:
https://goo.gl/photos/4LGUZo9UVojHkBEC9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are great! I'm loving that the European tour is off to a great start. Enjoy him while you can. We are only letting you borrow him. You have to give him back and yes that includes the band.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Awesome pics, guys!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Al looks like he got his hair trimmed since I last saw him. The whole band is lookin' good! I love their swanky tour bus, too. Been enjoying Jim's pictures of the inside.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Really good shots of Steve there Florian! The rest of them as well. Glad you had such a killer time Whizzi, looks like Mandatory Fun was had by all.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

Are there any European tour chasers here? From what I understand it's actually rather cheap to go from one country in Europe to another. I do hope they take advantage of this as he doesn't get to your over there to often. Next leg of the tour I hope the Czar experience is still a thing because I very much so want to get in on that my next concert. Y'all have heaps of fun and keep the pictures and reviews coming!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

KatrinatheGood wrote:From what I understand it's actually rather cheap to go from one country in Europe to another.
Depends on what you consider cheap. For example, if you buy plane tickets from Lithuania to Belgium two months ahead, the cheapest ones (both ways) are 86$, but the layover is 24 hours. If you want shorter layovers (one way trip takes 10 hours), it's 110$. A bus is much quicker, but costs 220$. Personally I think it's expensive, but what do I know, I'm poor :lol: . What are the travel costs between adjacent states in USA?
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

The last round trip I took from Florida to Michigan with a 2 hour layover was close to $300.00. To me $86.00 sounds pretty good to me, but I don't know currency conversion or anything like that. I don't fly to often anymore because I'm poor too. $300.00 is a lot of money to me. I have a coin jar that I'm putting my extra change in. Maybe by the next leg of the tour I will have VIP money in my coin jar. It adds up!