9/25/15 Oslo, Norway SENTRUM SCENE

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

HalifaxKat
Regular

Re: 9/25/15 Oslo, Norway SENTRUM SCENE

Post by HalifaxKat »

Hmm, I wonder if he sings "fanny pack" in White & Nerdy when he tours in the UK, as "fanny" means quite a different body part over there!! I learned that the hard way, haha. Oh well, thankfully my Canadian accent made it clear I wasn't aware what I was saying. :P

Just checked and he doesn't change it. Didn't think so! They're called bum bags over there, which sounds worse to my North American ears, but I can see why that would be the preferred name over there! Interestingly, Al is actually referenced in Wikipedia's entry on fanny packs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
giant_frying_pan
Occasional

Post by giant_frying_pan »

Fanny is fine here. We understand the difference between the US usage and here! And to be honest, fanny has that other connotation only in Scotland (although I fully expect him to sing it!)

Don't want to start any arguments or anything, but whenever I'm singing along to Word Crimes, I just don't sing the word spastic. I know Al means well, but it's a little inappropriate to mock sufferers of mental illness like that (I get that he's using it in a different context, but to me it's like insulting someone with the word retard or gay and so on).

That said, if he sings it in the UK (unlikely)...he'll probably get huge laughs :p
yank
Occasional

Post by yank »

Um....Cerebral palsy is not a mental illness. It's physical--neural.
"First of all, I don't particularly MIND the rabid wolverine in my underwear...."

"I was not shocked by the power of the Internet," he said. "I was counting on it."

"IT'S THE WEEKEND!" At the Zoo.fm
giant_frying_pan
Occasional

Post by giant_frying_pan »

I'd suggest it's both, but it doesn't matter. My point was, those it afflicts, did not choose to be that way.

The song doesn't suffer for its omission. I can attest to it, first hand!