6/13/15 Baltimore, MD Pier Six Pavilion

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: 6/13/15 Baltimore, MD Pier Six Pavilion

Post by Elvis »

Holy hell, I thought Vienna was hot. This place was 10 times worse than that, and the seats were so close together, everyone was on top of each other.

Jackie and I were staying with a friend who lives in Arlington, VA, a little over an hour drive. Well, we left Arlington around 6:15 which was a little too close for my comfort, but, hey, things happen. Well, my GPS got all wacky on me and kept sending me in circles, so Jackie got out her iPhone and put us back on track. We made up some time on the highway, but gave it all back again and more once we got to Downtown Baltimore. We arrived right as the Yankees vs Orioles game was starting and every street was packed with people and cars and every parking deck was full. Out of desperation, I pulled into the valet at Four Seasons and he said he couldn't valet my car, but told me about a parking deck which was right around the corner and had spots. He really hooked me up as it was relatively close to the venue and we parked there for over 6 hours and it only cost $9.00.

Anyway, we barely made it at showtime, but as we're crossing the bridge to get to the venue, the camera crew was setting up for "Tacky" so we waited there until the show started and watched Al sing his way across the bridge and to the backstage area. It was really actually pretty cool as we could hear Al singing right in front of us and also the Al and the band playing on stage behind us. We then ran to our seats and got there just as "Tacky" was ending.

I noticed a few video problems early on, but they seemed to work themselves out by the middle to end of the show. Al and the band must have been so hot on the stage. You could see everyone sweating under their costumes. Poor Al was drenched by the end of the medley. Steve had loosened his tie and unbuttoned his shirt too by then as well. Even the stage manager was standing in front of a fan anytime he had a minute to relax.

The crowd though was awesome. Standing ovations for a lot of songs, and even a few fans around me stood up the entire song for their favorites. "Word Crimes" has the most people standing and singing along. I tried not to stand too often because there were young kids sitting directly behind me, and it was so cramped in the seating area already.

After the show we hung back in the venue until it pretty much cleared out. We met up with Bob, Fred, and Sharon and her family. Bob and Fred went to the after show festivities and Sharon, Jackie and I headed to the buses. There were easily 200 or more people waiting at the buses. Probably one of the biggest groups I've seen waiting. Steve Jay came out a few minutes later and signed for everyone who wanted something signed. He stayed a long time and at one point, he came over the barricades and just started mingling with the fans. He was very casual with everyone as he usually is. We chatted for a while, and then he said he was going for a walk and walked off towards the downtown area to check it out.

Sharon couldn't stay long so she left right after meeting Steve, but we made a few other friends to pass the time with. After about an hour and half of waiting, they lined everyone up and said one autograph, no posed pictures, but you could take pictures while he signed. Even though the line was much longer than Lancaster, it was much more relaxed. Al seemed to spend a little more time with everyone as they got the items signed. We even got to have a real conversation with him for a few minutes as he signed our stuff.

After Al was done signing, we ran into Jim West, and got a selfie. We didn't hang around too much longer because they were trying to clear the area, so Bob, Jackie, and I found a pizza place and had a quick snack, then Bob headed back to his hotel, and we headed back to Arlington. Despite the bad downtown traffic and parking situation and unbearable heat, it turned out to be a really nice evening overall.

Two odd things happened on the drive home. One, I was driving Jackie's care, and I couldn't find anything on the radio I wanted to listen to so Jackie found an unlabeled CD in her CD player and put it on, and it was a CD full of some super rare Al songs someone gave me a long time ago at another Al show that I totally slipped my mind and I thought I had misplaced or lost. The second kind of funny thing is my GPS started acting crazy again and at one point thought we were driving in the Potomac River.

Anyway, that's enough words, next post will be pictures.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Some guy singing and dancing as he crossed the bridge. How tacky!

Me, Jackie, and Sharon

About 150-200 people waiting in line to see Al! The line goes all the way down, wraps around the corner and comes around to to the bus.

Of course Al's bus parks in spot #27

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Bozarth
Occasional

Post by Bozarth »

My friend's son broke his collar bone a few days ago, but he muscled through it to see Al last night. Which was his birthday! He loved the show and was pretty excited to meet him at the bus.

Good stuff
6/8/15 - Lancaster, PA
7/31/15 - Philadelphia, PA - w/ M&G
8/30/16 - Wilmington, DE
10/30/16 - Washington DC - UHF Live Commentary by Al & Emo
3/16/18 - Atlantic City, NJ
3/18/18 - Lancaster, PA
7/12/19 - Philadelphia, PA w/ M&G
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Fun review Dave! Great pic with Kimo too. Looks like Al still had quite a bit of energy afterwards.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Now I noticed that a picture on Al's shirt is the one about which Bermuda said it wouldn't work well on a shirt because he thinks they look ugly in it :lol:
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I'm guessing a fan made that for Al.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine photoshopped mine and his pictures to look like that group shot.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

I made that shirt Al is wearing! Heck yeah! I told Al the night before at Wolf Trap, "Here are some clean shirts for the road!" :D

By the way, if anyone has any other shots of Al wearing this shirt, I would be eternally grateful for full resolution jpgs. Just throwing that out there.

~Allison
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Damn, amazing shirts! I thought they were from the merch table when I saw it on Al and I wanted one as soon as I saw it. I'll buy one from you if you want to sell one. Just send me a p.m if that is a possibility.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
27thpilgrim

Post by 27thpilgrim »

I'd loved to have one too if you are selling some!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I am sure you can make your own if you want. I have the vector of the band outline (plus Ruben) if you want it.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic