6/4/15 Concord, NH Capitol Center for the Arts

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Re: 6/4/15 Concord, NH Capitol Center for the Arts

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

As Dingo said,it was a great show!

I met up with an old friend from junior high school, and her husband, and we had dinner at Constantly Pizza. We saw several people with Al shirts on, and overheard many references to Al, his music, and the concert. When we entered the theater, there were no bag or camera checks, which surprised me. In the lobby, we could see several people in elaborate costumes. One was dressed like Obi-Wan Kenobi, another was wearing a cape and a foil hat with pointy horns on top.

It was a sold-out show. There were a few people in the front row who clearly had too much to drink, and were a little obnoxious at times, but other than that, the crowd was enthusiastic. There was boy with his parents sitting behind me, who had VIP laminates (but not the meet & greet). I spoke to them for a few minutes; they were not all that impressed with the pre-show party. I could hear the guy next to me swearing a lot before the show, so I politely asked him to watch his language because of the kids nearby. He understood and apologized.

I also loved Tacky as the opening song. Al passed by Jim West in the hallway, then went outside by the band bus. He sang "are you pregnant girl, or just really fat?" to the SNL cheerleaders. I saw at least one person on the street behind him watching curiously. There was a huge cheer when he finally entered the theater.

I was sitting in the front row of the far right section of the theater. It was sold as an "obstructed view" seat, but the view wasn't that bad. I was hoping to finally have a clear view of Bermuda, but Steve was blocking my view. Oh, well. I was having trouble with my digital camera all night; I couldn't get it to focus properly. I ended up with a lot of blurry and/or overexposed photos. :( There were a few times when the audio didn't sound right, and I could hear the instruments more than Al's voice. Maybe that was because of where I was sitting, because there was a speaker right in front of me?

I absolutely loved the acoustic set; I think that was my favorite part!
Unfortunately, I could not understand anything he was saying at the end of the show before and after he introduced the band.

While waiting for the encore, the drunkards in the front row, along with a few other people, began pounding on the stage. I found it kind of annoying.

After the show, I said goodbye to my friend, because she didn't want to wait by the bus. Then I ran into another old friend, which was cool. When I got to the bus, it was around 10:00pm, and there were about 20 or so people waiting on the sidewalk across the street from the bus. After about a half hour, security came over to tell us that we could only get one item autographed, and no more. Also, there would be NO PHOTOS. If you don't get an autograph, you still CANNOT get a photo. They repeated it loudly several times, and made us all repeat it and agree. NO PHOTOS! Ok, we got it!

The line to see Al went from the driver's side of the bus, around the front, and then over to Al, who was sitting on the step inside the bus door. There wasn't much room at all between the driver's side of the bus and the building it was parked next to. There was just barely enough room for one person to fit through. I was near the end of the line, and there was a young man with special needs behind me, who was SO excited that he was going to meet Al. He was imploring his dad to find something for Al to sign. The young man told me that tomorrow is his 22nd birthday. :) After I got an autograph from Al, I overheard security telling the young man that he could get a photo with Al. I was so glad they made that exception for him.

After that, I headed back to my car and went home. I will go through my photos this weekend; maybe I can find a few that are worth posting, but no guarantees. I think it may be time to look for a new camera. :annoyed:
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

At least you got pictures....I....kind of forgot my batteries :S :lol:

Which on the plus side, hey, get to enjoy the show more and I'm a terrible photographer anyway (Downside: Had a dead camera with me the whole night and I was holding it in my hat....I don't like taking my hat off in public...I have habitually terrible hair :P )

One more thing about the foil......while we were leaving, people walked past us, not just in foil hats, but whole suits. After they were a block ahead of us, I said to my group "I love that we're in a situation where that just happened and no one is questioning it" :foil:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

I found a few photos that weren't completely horrible, so I uploaded them to a Facebook album, if anyone is interested.

Also, the Capitol Center for the Arts posted a few photos of concert-goers. The first 3 photos are fans who dressed up in costume, and the last photo is Andrew, the young man I mentioned in my last post. He was the only person who was able to get a photo with Al at the bus-side meet & greet. He was SO excited! :)
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
Flat Stanley NH
Occasional

Post by Flat Stanley NH »

I was at this show!

After the show, I waited by the bus, hoping to see Al and get a photo with him. When I heard security make their announcement about no photos, I figured I'd just stay in my envelope and see him next time. However, when my family approached Al at the bus, security spotted me and said my name! My envelope was being used for Al to lean on while signing his autograph, but Al saw me, too. He said, "Would you like me to take a picture with Flat Stanley?" :whoot: Of course, the answer was yes!

Here is my photo with Al! :D
alsfan

Post by alsfan »

NH Weird Al Fan wrote:I found a few photos that weren't completely horrible, so I uploaded them to a Facebook album, if anyone is interested.

Also, the Capitol Center for the Arts posted a few photos of concert-goers. The first 3 photos are fans who dressed up in costume, and the last photo is Andrew, the young man I mentioned in my last post. He was the only person who was able to get a photo with Al at the bus-side meet & greet. He was SO excited! :)
This story makes me feel all gushy inside!!!! Al making a clear exception for a special needs man!!! That's S00000 sweet. I took that photo and saved it on my hard drive. :D It was such a touching photo. Thanks for supporting Al in his decision to do this- and posting your photos
I am severely learning disabled, This tends to trigger a bullying instinct. Please resist the urge to point out spelling grammar errors or twist my words so you can look good/smart/witty to other people. Be kind.