5/19/15, Tulsa, OK Brady Theater

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

OneWAY
Obsessed

Re: 5/19/15, Tulsa, OK Brady Theater

Post by OneWAY »

Got back a little while ago; it was awesome.

I was able to hit the road around 11:30 AM and got to the hotel at 3:40-ish. We dropped by around 5 PM to get the tickets from will call. Earlier, I had to see if we could get the tickets assigned to my name, since they were under my brother's originally, and he wasn't going this time. When I called, the lady told me to just bring his id and the credit card used. I ended up only needing the card and my own id! We showed up before the doors opened and talked to the crowd outside the theater until 6:30, when the doors opened. We were one of the first to get to the merchandise table, and I got the hat and the keychain. My friend got the hat as well, because he liked the style. We both ended up wearing them during the show.

We asked one of the theater guys where our seats were, and he ultimately directed us to the wrong seats. Several minutes later, another theater attendant came by with a couple other guests, saying that we were not in the right seats. We asked someone else, he found our correct seats, which were only a few rows back! The show started around 8:30 (?), and Fun Zone got everyone excited! Al brought back the flipping through channels opening, but I don't think it changed much since 2010. They used a brand new clip that resembled the transmission videos from last year before they launched into Tacky. The video on the screen for the song began in the kitchen of the theater, and Al ran around the theater, and we saw the cheerleaders practicing in the halls in the video! Al sang to several people in the lobby at the bar before entering the theater through the guest entrance. It was AWESOME.

When the song ended, Al quickly said hello to Tulsa as they launched into Lame Claim To Fame. The transition was so seamless and smooth! Ruben on the cowbell was amusing. Bermuda did a drum solo-ish opening as Al carried his accordion up high, and he asked us if we were ready to polka; Tulsa definitely was! The polka was fantastic, and my friend got a real kick out of it.

I liked the new costume for Perform This Way. They really have to performance down! The new video clips were hilarious. Dare To Be Stupid was awesome, and I'm glad they brought it back. I miss the ad-libbing Al used to do at the end of the song, but it was still fun! Fat was good, but it was weird not to have the jam at the end. At one point, Al pointed in the general direction of my friend while he screamed "HO!!", and a spotlight glowed on him shortly after; it was pretty funny.

First World Problems and Foil had seamless transitions, and were strong, fun performances. Foil was so cool! All the new props Al brought to the show were awesome. Smells Like Nirvana was pretty standard, but we almost got splashed by the gargled water! He was really throwing it tonight. The medley was pretty awesome; I'm happy with the new stuff and the older stuff they brought back. It's All About The Pentiums was fun to see again. Al stayed dressed in his CIA costume for the duration of the song; it worked! The transition to Handy was amazingly quick and fun to watch. Al kept his ponytail during Bedrock Anthem, which was different. Really liked Bedrock; so glad to see it again! Inactive was awesome, and works well in the medley. The chair is an awesome complement to the song's performance. During Wanna B Ur Lovr, Al walked right next to us and stopped behind us. Al's butt was totally in my face, which was... interesting. He made gestures to a woman in front of him, while thrusting backward to the woman behind him; talk about multitasking! He sat in a woman's lap nearby us. He wore the hat for a while, but he tossed it offstage before he jumped into the audience.

The unplugged section was awesome. Really good performances from the guys. I LOVE ROCKY ROAD. The song. Good stuff. Word Crimes was super fun, and Al really gives his all, and the audience loved every second. The Amish Jam was fun, and I love Al's spiel; it was hilarious. "Do you want some more? Well, I just got telling you I can't. You guys have comprehension problems. Sorry, but it's true." The NEW YODA CHANT. SO GOOD. I'll never keep up.

After the show, my friend and I checked out the bus. After waiting a while, a security guy told us that we couldn't take actual pictures with him, and we could only get one thing signed. When I say we couldn't take pictures with him, I mean that they didn't want posed ones, because "it's been a long night." Funny thing; my friend got two things signed. He handed off his copy of Mandatory Fun, and Al signed the back of the booklet. My friend told him that he actually wanted the CD signed, and Al said, "I got you," and signed that as well! The security guy just kinda shrugged it off. I got Al to sign my copy of the MAD magazine, and told him that the new set list was awesome. He was happy to hear it and thanked me.

GOOD NIGHT. This rambling mess is not proofread, but this is all still fresh information. I'll let it settle and see if there's anything else I missed.
Last edited by OneWAY on Wed May 20, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

Great review, Mason! Glad to hear you had a wicked good time. Makes me want August to come faster!
conk or bepis
heath

Post by heath »

What a great show! I loved it this time just as much as I did the first time! My wife (who's not the biggest fan) loved the show too. This was the first concert my daughters have been to, and they had the time of their life. My youngest told me after the show that she couldn't frown if she tried!

We stayed after and waited for an autograph. My daughters got really tired waiting that long, but they held in there and this morning they were still talking about getting to talk to him. I was disappointed that they rushed us through so much faster than last time. No posed pictures with him, just take a picture while he's signing his autograph and keep on moving. But I guess they want to encourage VIP tickets which I understand.

Having my whole family there this time and my daughters enjoying it so much was my favorite part, but other highlights for me was Dare To Be Stupid, All About The Pentiums, the acoustic medley, my theme song White & Nerdy, and having my "lucky spatula" signed.
FB_IMG_1432134367442.jpg
FB_IMG_1432134387810.jpg
FB_IMG_1432134398592.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Thanks for the reviews, guys! I'm glad to hear that the Unplugged Medley wasn't just a Vegas thing; it looks like it's in the show to stay. It looks like this show also answered our question as to whether Al will still be doing meet and greets out by the buses. I figured he would continue to do so. FYI, the no posed pictures rule isn't new; that's been the rule for a while now. The last time I met Al, however, people (myself included) blatantly ignored the rule, and security didn't say a word. I suppose that might be different now that Al has to meet so many people after show.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Kevbo1987 wrote:Thanks for the reviews, guys! I'm glad to hear that the Unplugged Medley wasn't just a Vegas thing; it looks like it's in the show to stay. It looks like this show also answered our question as to whether Al will still be doing meet and greets out by the buses. I figured he would continue to do so. FYI, the no posed pictures rule isn't new; that's been the rule for a while now. The last time I met Al, however, people (myself included) blatantly ignored the rule, and security didn't say a word. I suppose that might be different now that Al has to meet so many people after show.
Really? How long has that been a rule? When I went mid 2013, they still let you pose and stuff...still glad he is doing bus meet and greets though!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I can't say for sure, but it was the rule both times I've met him, in 2007 and 2010. Maybe it depends on how many people are in line.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I was at the last show of the Alpocalypse tour in Tulsa, and we got posed pictures; can't remember if they ever said not to.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

The rule depends on the line. One time there was only 5 of us after a 2 hour wait so there were no rules. If the line is super long they get more loud about the rule. Most times I've had Al ask me if I want a picture, so I don't think it's his rule.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
heath

Post by heath »

The only other time I've seen him was in Texarkana 2013. The instructions they gave us was that we could take one picture with him and they had everyone sit on the bus step below him for their pic. That being my only previous experience, it was what I (naively?) expected this time. No complaints, though - my girls were thrilled and that's all that matters! I wish I could have afforded the VIP tickets for them.
KentMarlow

Post by KentMarlow »

Is he still accepting all major credit cards at the merch stand?