Rank the 8 Videos!

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Re: Rank the 8 Videos!

Post by CharlesNelson »

1 Foil. No arguments at all.
2 Tacky. I had trouble ranking #2-5 because they all have their own merits. Tacky gets the nod over FWP due to the celeb cameos, the higher production value and the all-in-one-take format.
3 First World Problems. Really funny video. We definitely do need more Al vids like this!
4 Word Crimes. I like this Jarrett Heather guy. His effort on this video made it turn out much better than, for contrast, the Stop Forwarding video.
5 Lame Claim to Fame. This and "Word Crimes" must have been so much work for their animators. It was nice to see the band, Demento and Lars cameo in this one.
6 Sports Song. Could have been better in a lot of ways, but I did not dislike this nearly as much as many of you.
7 Mission Statement. Made sense for the song, nice animation, but not one I'll watch again.
8 Handy. I felt contact embarrassment from imagining a non-Al fan watching it and then shaming me for liking him. Could have been so much better within the same late-night-TV-commercial concept.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

1. Foil - feels like a classic Al music video
2. Tacky - nice parody of the original song and video, with great cameos
3. Word Crimes - initially rated higher, but the lack of live-action Al hurts its ranking
4. First World Problems - hilarious due to Al's huge overreactions
5. Handy - intentionally cheap-looking, which manages to be both a detriment and an asset
6. Lame Claim to Fame - lots of effort for a joke-packed video, but something about just doesn't gel for me
7. Mission Statement - a decent video that suits the song, but little re-watch value
8. Sports Song - if Al does ever get the Super Bowl spot, hopefully it'll be more exciting than this; put another way, the video adds little to an already inferior song
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

1. sports song
2. sports song
3. sports song
4. sports song
5. sports song
6. sports song
7. sports song
8. sports song
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

amzo39 wrote:1. sports song
2. sports song
3. sports song
4. sports song
5. sports song
6. sports song
7. sports song
8. sports song
Putting that song at both your top and lowest, does that mean you both love and hate it?
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

quantumerror wrote:
amzo39 wrote:1. sports song
2. sports song
3. sports song
4. sports song
5. sports song
6. sports song
7. sports song
8. sports song
Putting that song at both your top and lowest, does that mean you both love and hate it?
i'm also indifferent to it.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
Waffle King
Occasional

Post by Waffle King »

Handy
First World Problems
In all honesty,it's a tie between these two.Both felt like classic Al.I kinda liked his character in Handy a bit more,so I'll give it the nod.
Foil - Another great one.
Tacky- Lack of Al puts this one down a notch.Jack Black was great though.
Sports Song- That was about all you could do with that song,and Al did it.
Lame claim to fame was fun.It seemed to be a good match for the song.
Word Crimes -Probably my favorite song from the album,but there really wasn't much to the video.
Mission Statement......I actually couldn't get through it.But,I'll give it another try later....
Back off me,man-back off.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Waffle King wrote: Sports Song- That was about all you could do with that song,and Al did it.
I think that's the problem with the video....it's basically just Al and a band marching and lip syncing to the camera. Not sure why all the effort when the number of actual jokes could almost be counted on one hand. Makes me wonder if maybe Al should have just done a video for a completely different song.
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

1. Foil- obviously
2. Sports Song- That uniform though...
3. Mission Statement- really creative
4. Tacky- Love Aisha Tyler and Jack Black's cameos.
5. First World Problems
6. Lame Claim to Fame
7. Handy
8. Word Crimes
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

mrmeadows wrote:
Waffle King wrote: Sports Song- That was about all you could do with that song,and Al did it.
I think that's the problem with the video....it's basically just Al and a band marching and lip syncing to the camera. Not sure why all the effort when the number of actual jokes could almost be counted on one hand. Makes me wonder if maybe Al should have just done a video for a completely different song.
They could have done tons of jokes! Play around with all the tropes of an inspirational sports movie (ex. Rudy or Field of Dreams). I was hoping it'd be something like Smells Like Nirvana where it's just JAMMED pack full of jokes. He could have made up some fake sport that the song is talking about (kinda like Eric Wareheim did for the Beach House Wishes video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6duOoxctw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

It really comes off as "woops! we're outta money, but we still need to make a video." I dont know. I think the fact that it's the weakest song on the album doesn't really help.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Now that I've seen them all:

Foil
Tacky
Handy
Lame Claim to Fame
First World Problems
Word Crimes

The lines are because Word Crimes is closer to the top than the bottom, and because Mission Statement (Just because of how cool and unique the style is) is closer to Word Crimes than Sports Song which is the clear bottom (Apologies to everyone involved, just not a great video)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?