Least Favorite Song

Moderator: Moderators

DrDecay
Addicted

Least Favorite Song

Post by DrDecay »

Gosh, I really don't want to be the one to post this topic because I feel that Mandatory Fun is a solid album. In fact I think it could be one of his greatest works in recent years. However, they can't be all winners now, can they. So, I am curious to learn what is everyone's least favorite song. Mine would have to be "sports song" not because it's not funny, just not a big sports fan I suppose.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Re: Least Favorite Song

Post by QuantumError »

This should be made into a poll so those who want to remain anonymous with their opinion don't have to be outed.

Personally, on my first couple listens through the album, I really didn't like Sports Song. But I'm actually starting to come to my senses and now I'm really liking it. But now, I'm starting to be less and less entertained by Mission Statement..Sure, it isn't terrible, but I only find it mildly funny. Best thing I can say about it, lyrics aside, is that I really like the instrumental.

But overall, this album is very solid. Since my first listen through, there still isn't any part of the album that I can't stand listening to. It's really being nit-picky even for me to complain about this song.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Two songs that I keep skipping on my player are "Mission statement" and "Sport song". Mainly because I don't enjoy them musically, also they're not particularly funny to me.
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

The song I usually skip is "Mission statement". Not particular funny in my opinion and too much autotune.
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

Not a fan of Sports Song. Don't really get the point.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

My least favorite track right now is Inactive. Unlike most of this album, it's ground he has already covered lyrically. And the bad mixing during the choruses is hard to ignore.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

If I had to pick one, it would be "Handy." It's grown on me quite a bit since first listen, but I think it has the least staying power. None of the originals has lost any luster for me yet, and the other parodies I was on the fence about ("Foil," "Inactive") are getting better with each listen ("Foil" was helped immensely by the video, "Inactive" sounds a little better of the CD than the leak.) The polka is still not my favorite, but polkas are never bad, just varying degrees of great, dependent mostly on my familiarity with the targets.

I see why Al was so eager to find a final parody for this album; he knew he was sitting on a masterpiece.
ectomaster

Post by ectomaster »

"Handy" gets my vote. I enjoy all of them, but "Handy" is probably my least favorite. As I tried listening to this while at work, initially it was "Mission Statement" and "Jackson Park Express" as I couldn't hear them while working (had to keep the music low as I'm the only Al fan :( ). Having finally heard them properly they are fantastic! As an avid video gamer (and YouTuber), one section of "Mission Statement" had me laughing for quite a bit! And "Jackson Park Express" is a no brainer now. I thoroughly enjoyed the polka and all the parodies but consider "Handy" the weakest of them.
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

For me it's going to be Mission Statement. Musically it's very good, but the lyrics just aren't funny to me. I wish he had picked a better subject matter.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Wizzerkat wrote:For me it's going to be Mission Statement. Musically it's very good, but the lyrics just aren't funny to me. I wish he had picked a better subject matter.
The lyrics aren't supposed to be riotously funny on their own (although I do think there's humor in them.) The main humor in the song is from the juxtaposition of the target (anti-establishment CSN) and the subject matter (strings of corporate buzzwords.) The underlying message is that the fans who once sang along with CSN in protest of rampant capitalism and the military industrial complex are now, for the most part, entrenched in that exact same world. It's subtle, but pretty biting.

But also consider that unlike "Bob," which is just a collection of barely related palindromes (and yes, I know there's a point to that too), "Mission Statement" is structured more like a traditional song, with repeated words and phrases like "synergy" and "monetize our assets." Al has essentially taken the most cliche-ridden office meeting and transformed it into an anthem for a sit-in.

It's a much subtler kind of humor than, say, a fart noise in the polka, but to me it's infinitely funnier, and I gladly accept my new role as Guy Who Defends Mission Statement.