Mandatory Fun Chit Chat Topic

Moderator: Moderators

mellow weasel
Obsessed

Re: Mandatory Fun Chit Chat Topic

Post by mellow weasel »

Yankovic-Gretzky wrote:It hasn't been fixed yet. Who do we call?
Maybe you can PM Bermuda... :unsure:
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

bermuda wrote:Hmmm, that would have been me... :)

Thank you

Bermuda
Eyeball Chair
Addicted

Post by Eyeball Chair »

This album is stunningly brilliant. I wasn't a huge fan of his last one but this one was amazing. :hamsters:
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

So does anybody know whether this album has gone gold yet? I checked the awards and honors page at the official site which lists which albums have gone gold and platinum and didn't see Mandatory Fun listed, but I also couldn't find anything that said when that particular page was last updated. I'd like to think that Mandatory Fun has gone gold because it charted at number 1, but that might not necessarily guarantee it would go gold. Of course, I've recently been wondering if an album can be considered a success if it sells less than enough copies to go gold. I know that Al's debut album didn't go gold until the late-1990s, was that considered a flop until then?
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

Mandatory Fun made its debut at #1 with 104,000 copies sold. It's very possible that it hasn't gone gold yet.

As for whether an album is a success, it all depends. Some artists and bands spend millions on just making the album itself, not including music videos, promotion, etc. So, they'd need to make millions just to break even and be a success. Another artist might have recorded their album in one inspired night in their basement and might not promote it much, so they wouldn't need many sales to make a profit. And of course, for some people, success is defined differently. The artist might consider "success" just getting the album out there, whereas the label sees success in terms of money.

We live in interesting times. Back in the days where you had larger than life superstars like Michael Jackson it was common for the #1 album to have sold a million (or several million) copies in just the first week alone. They all set the bar so high that they broke it, and nowadays it's common to see "(Artist)'s new album makes debut at #1 with 20,000 copies sold!" So, being #1 doesn't necessarily mean you'll hit gold very soon.
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

Mandatory Fun hasn't gone gold or platinum yet?

http://weirdal.com/archives/awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

It has in our minds. That is what is REALLY important.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!