Rank the songs on Mandatory Fun

Moderator: Moderators

AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Re: Rank the songs on Mandatory Fun [Spoilers]

Post by AlejandraDD »

quantumerror wrote:
Spoiler:
12. Sports Song - I really do not like this song. I mean, there are some pretty funny lines in this..But to begin with, there isn't a single sport that I watch, follow, or play. Second, the high school band sound it has really gives me a headache. This will probably be pretty funny for other people who watch sports, but this doesn't get my vote for favorite songs..
Really? I thought
Spoiler:
the song is so generic that it takes the perspective of someone who doesn't know anything about sports. I know that for sports I don't care about, anything fans say sound like "my team is better than your team, nyah nyah"
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

AlejandraDD wrote: Really? I thought
Spoiler:
the song is so generic that it takes the perspective of someone who doesn't know anything about sports. I know that for sports I don't care about, anything fans say sound like "my team is better than your team, nyah nyah"
YES. As a sports fan (especially college football, where fight songs are most abundant) I absolutely love this song for exactly that reason.
Spoiler:
It's a perfect reduction of the fight song/fan attitude to its most basic core. We're great. You suck. The end. Of course it's unreasonable to think like this, but that's what being a sports fan is all about!
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

1. Jackson Park Express
2. Mission Statement
3. Word Crimes
4. Foil
5. NOW That's What I Call Polka
6. My Own Eyes
7. Tacky
8. First World Problems
9. Lame Claim to Fame
10. Sports Song
11. Handy
12. Inactive
MandatoryPun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryPun »

1. Word Crimes
2. Handy
3. Tacky
4. First World Problems
5. Lame Claim to Fame
6. Inactive
7. My Own Eyes
8. NOW That's What I Call Polka!
9. Foil
10. Mission Statement
11. Jackson Park Express
12. Sports Song
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Spoiler:
For those complaining about the lack of a third verse on Foil, you do realize the original doesn't have one, right? The idea of actually adding an extra seems a little odd, while the bridge part in the song that Al leaves out doesn't really provide enough material for Al to change the subject to lead up to a third chorus. So for me, the brevity actually works when you take into account what Al would have been working with to make the song longer.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Marko_The_Odd wrote:
Spoiler:
For those complaining about the lack of a third verse on Foil, you do realize the original doesn't have one, right? The idea of actually adding an extra seems a little odd, while the bridge part in the song that Al leaves out doesn't really provide enough material for Al to change the subject to lead up to a third chorus. So for me, the brevity actually works when you take into account what Al would have been working with to make the song longer.
Hmm. I guess I never noticed "Royals" didn't have a third verse. Maybe cause I usually fall asleep by then. :P
Spoiler:
But still, he could have shortened the bridge a bit and repeated the chorus one more time while still on the subject of conspiracy theories. Like how he repeated the chorus of the "decapitated" section of ACS.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
Spoiler:
But still, he could have shortened the bridge a bit and repeated the chorus one more time while still on the subject of conspiracy theories. Like how he repeated the chorus of the "decapitated" section of ACS.
Spoiler:
My thought too. I think it would have provided a more obvious closing for the song. As it is, I just imagine that the character has been "gotten to" as someone here suggested, but another chorus that sort of goes through his paranoia and then ends abruptly with something like "I think they're onto me" or whatever would just work better for me. Of course, I would have preferred that the first verse be about conspiracies too, so I'm guessing Al just didn't have enough funny ideas to sustain a whole conspiracy song.
jawgee

Post by jawgee »

What about the "cunning linguist" double entendre? That will probably go over most kids' heads, but I thought that was pretty clever.
Moneybags wrote:
Spoiler:
...I love that this song's now completely devoid of any sexuality whatsoever...
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Skippy wrote:
Spoiler:
My thought too. I think it would have provided a more obvious closing for the song. As it is, I just imagine that the character has been "gotten to" as someone here suggested, but another chorus that sort of goes through his paranoia and then ends abruptly with something like "I think they're onto me" or whatever would just work better for me.
Spoiler:
Or maybe some sort of alien beam sound effect.

It would be great in the concert if this song is in the medley and leads directly into "Party in the CIA."
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Okay, I've heard the album three or four times now (would have listened more, but don't want to oversaturate myself with it!), and feel like I'm ready to do this.

1. Jackson Park Express
2. Word Crimes
3. Tacky
4. Now That's What I Call Polka!
5. Lame Claim To Fame
6. First World Problems
7. My Own Eyes
8. Inactive
9. Handy
10. Mission Statement
11. Foil
12. Sports Song