Which song will be the hit?

Moderator: Moderators

Which song do you think will be the most popular?

Handy
20%
Lame Claim to Fame
No votes
Foil
4%
Sports Song
1%
Word Crimes
54%
My Own Eyes
No votes
NOW That's What I Call Polka!
3%
Mission Statement
No votes
Inactive
No votes
First World Problems
1%
Tacky
16%
Jackson Park Express
No votes

Total votes: 69

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Which song will be the hit?

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Yeah, my big question now is the concert. "Foil" and "Inactive" are destined to be in the medley. But "Word Crimes" and "Tacky" seem like they'd be hard to perform live with all the quick lyrics and background vocals.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I was thinking he would have to slow some songs down when performing them live.

Background vocals shouldn't be a problem, he can have the band do them, or use something pre-recorded.

Dave
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

That's true. It worked out well enough for "White and Nerdy."

He'd definitely have to slow down "Word Crimes" though. Casual concert goers wouldn't be able to make out a word of that if it were done in the normal speed.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

Gonna be honest here, I love the album, in fact I think from top to bottom it's the best one he's had since Running with Scissors, but nothing on here really screams "big hit" to me. Everything is great, but it's great in a Weird Al sort of way, meaning that if you're not a fan of Al and his type of humor, then it may not be your cup of tea. I really don't see anything here that is going to be a breakout hit with the general public or casual music listeners. Maybe I'll be proven wrong though.
just2good
Occasional

Post by just2good »

I definitely think it could be Word Crimes, as long as it has a live action music video... which is a little unlikely.
WalterWhite

Post by WalterWhite »

I changed my vote from "Handy" to "Word Crimes." While "Handy" is funny, "Word Crimes" is genius. Also, Robin Thicke has been getting a little bit more attention recently (his new album just came out and did really poorly, the whole #AskThicke controversy, etc.), so it seems like a good time for a Robin Thicke parody—although "Fancy" still is #1. I'm wondering if Al also thinks that "Word Crimes" will be the hit, given that clips of it have already been played in at least two interviews and the whole song was played on the Dr. Demento Show. I'm planning to send the video to my old high school English teacher and some of my friends who are English majors as soon as it comes out.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I kinda see Word Crimes being a hit...maybe not on the radio, per se, but going viral and such.

I'm hoping it's one of the videos that were shot.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I agree. "Word Crimes" will be big on the Internet. It has a lot of potential appeal to lots of people who wouldn't pay any attention to Al otherwise just based on the topic alone. One of the few parodies of Al's whose subject matter will be its key selling point.

For the others, I think a lot depends on the videos. "Handy" doesn't seem like it could get very big, but if the video has enough clever visual gags, it might really take off.

Also, "Tacky" is one that I can see a lot of people on YouTube using to make their own videos, much like "Happy" itself.
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

"Word Crimes" will probably soar compared to "Handy." It's just a bit more clever, a bit more catchy, and a bit more relatable to a mass audience.

Also, have any of the polkas ever gotten airplay? Maybe this is pushing it, but I think "NOW" deserves to be on the radio. It's so expertly composed, and the line-up of songs is perfect!
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Come on guys clearly its foil get with it.
taste is only something if it is yours.