Which song will be the hit?

Moderator: Moderators

Which song do you think will be the most popular?

Handy
20%
Lame Claim to Fame
No votes
Foil
4%
Sports Song
1%
Word Crimes
54%
My Own Eyes
No votes
NOW That's What I Call Polka!
3%
Mission Statement
No votes
Inactive
No votes
First World Problems
1%
Tacky
16%
Jackson Park Express
No votes

Total votes: 69

spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Re: Which song will be the hit?

Post by spmahn »

tomatochives wrote:"Word Crimes" will probably soar compared to "Handy." It's just a bit more clever, a bit more catchy, and a bit more relatable to a mass audience.

Also, have any of the polkas ever gotten airplay? Maybe this is pushing it, but I think "NOW" deserves to be on the radio. It's so expertly composed, and the line-up of songs is perfect!
Not sure what you mean by airplay, but Al hasn't gotten terrestrial radio play in 20 years. I've heard him from time to time on Sirus XM, but it's typically just on the 80's station.
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

spmahn wrote: Not sure what you mean by airplay, but Al hasn't gotten terrestrial radio play in 20 years. I've heard him from time to time on Sirus XM, but it's typically just on the 80's station.
airplay |ˈe(ə)rˌplā|
noun
broadcasting time devoted to a particular record, performer, or musical genre.

:D

Also, I'm pretty certain "White & Nerdy" got featured on Top 40 radio.
Last edited by tomatochives on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

tomatochives wrote:
spmahn wrote: Not sure what you mean by airplay, but Al hasn't gotten terrestrial radio play in 20 years. I've heard him from time to time on Sirus XM, but it's typically just on the 80's station.
airplay |ˈe(ə)rˌplā|
noun
broadcasting time devoted to a particular record, performer, or musical genre.

:D
Ok, well then you are referring to play on traditional radio, in which case no, the polkas to not get airplay, and neither does anything else.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

I don't think polka music is big on any radio station unless its devoted to playing only polka music. I'll ask my grandma about what stations are out there.
taste is only something if it is yours.
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Everyone should send their local radio station the polka. When the album officially comes out. I think it would do great on the radio, since anyone listening to the radio has heard all those songs millions of times and must be getting sick of them.
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

jacobpacek wrote:Everyone should send their local radio station the polka. When the album officially comes out. I think it would do great on the radio, since anyone listening to the radio has heard all those songs millions of times and must be getting sick of them.
Your heart's in the right place, but there's barely even such a thing as "local" radio anymore. Most stations are owned by one of a few giant national corporations and they make all the programming decisions. Radio and MTV really aren't viable outlets for Al these days, sadly. Good thing he's got the internet!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I know one radio station that I listen to that will without a doubt be playing the polka. :ttr:
And Peggy
cromulnt
Occasional

Post by cromulnt »

"White & Nerdy" did get some minor attention at pop music stations. I used to have access to airplay charts that went beyond the top 40, and I'm not 100% certain, but I seem to remember it hitting the top 50 or at least coming close to it. There was also one station with a rock/hip-hop hybrid format (it reported as "Alternative") that was spinning the heck out of it.

Actually, speaking of the Alternative Rock format, I've always had the crazy thought that Al's label should try to push some of his originals there. "My Own Eyes" would certainly be a good contender.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Who even listens to radio stations anymore. If I listen to "radio" it's Pandora or iMusic radio. Besides, "White and Nerdy" is Al's biggest hit of all time, and how much radio play did that get? It's not about radio anymore. It's about YouTube and iTunes.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

What was the main success factor for w&n? I'm wondering if the video was the gateway for its success even tho the song itself is one of his all time best. I'll be interested to see the videos for these songs to see if any of them can allow a song to go viral. Word crimes is probably the best song but I don't see how even a good video can make it better. Are the videos being released as they appear on the album, tracks 1 thru 12?
taste is only something if it is yours.