Tacky

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Tacky

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Spoiler:
I really like how Al made reference to Instagram, selfies, and stuff in here without feeling the need to have a whole song about them. This is another one that goes to fast for me.
EDIT: hey thanks for the lyrics! :D
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Tacky

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Alinite27 wrote:LYRICS
Spoiler:
Well, now I'm dropping names,
There goes Cousin Lee,

And a Yono license plate,

If I'm being biased on,
I'm probably not telling you,
A few corrections:
Spoiler:
"Well, now I'm dropping names
Almost constantly"

"And a YOLO license plate"

"If I'm being bit by a zombie
I'm probably not telling you."
Skippy
Addicted

Re: [spoiler][lyrics] Tacky

Post by Skippy »

A personal anecdote about a line in this song:
Spoiler:
I have literally seen with my own eyes a divorce decree in Comic Sans. (This is job-related; I am and will forever be happily married.)
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Loved the song, but the final couple of lines seem, I dunno... A little out of place? Like, it sort of fits the theme, but it's not really "tacky" so to speak.

I want that money shirt from the video.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Marc
Occasional

Post by Marc »

I really thought he sang 'All my used Lincoln bibles are on display' !

And I would change
'Wear my belt with suspenders' in 'Wear my pants'
'Bring me shame // Can't never know why' in 'And never know why'
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Okay, so does anyone know the relevance of
Spoiler:
the last line about being bitten by a zombie and not telling someone?
This seems like such a left-field example of tackiness that I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.
darkhornet
Occasional

Post by darkhornet »

Skippy wrote:Okay, so does anyone know the relevance of the last line about being bitten by a zombie and not telling someone? This seems like such a left-field example of tackiness that I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.
Have you watched/read the Walking Dead? I'm pretty sure it's a reference to that. In there, someone who has been bit is a danger to everyone else because they will die and turn into a zombie soon. I think the "tackiness" he references is keeping that information secret.
Last edited by darkhornet on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

darkhornet wrote:
Spoiler:
Have you watched/read the Walking Dead? I'm pretty sure it's a reference to that. In there, someone who has been bit is a danger to everyone else because they will die and turn into a zombie soon. I think the "tackiness" he references is keeping that information secret.
Spoiler:
That's pretty standard for any zombie story really. I was just wondering if there was some specific reason to reference it in this song when all of the other examples are fairly straightforward and real-world.
darkhornet
Occasional

Post by darkhornet »

Skippy wrote: That's pretty standard for any zombie story really. I was just wondering if there was some specific reason to reference it in this song when all of the other examples are fairly straightforward and real-world.
Good question. I'm going on the assumption that the Walking Dead and zombies are so big in pop culture right now that he felt the need to make a shoutout to it? That's the only thing I can figure.
Last edited by darkhornet on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Guys, I don't think we need spoiler tags for anything about this song anymore since it's officially been released. So, I'm going to skip them.

My take on the zombie line is twofold.

Yes, he wanted to get a zombie reference in because of the huge popularity of The Walking Dead and zombie stuff in general.

But the better reason for that line is exactly because of how out of place it is. In the world of zombies, if you get bit and don't tell anyone, you're creating a life-threatening situation for everyone. That's far worse than just being "tacky." The line is funny because it stands in such stark contrast to everything else in the song.

A real-life equivalent would be if the line were: "If we have sex and I have AIDS, I'm probably not telling you." Or something like that. That would be an extremely over-the-top example of being "tacky." It also would also be a little more off-color than what Al usually does, and so he used a fictional example of getting bit by a zombie.
Spoiler:
This is similar to what he does in JPE with the section about the woman having something in the corner of her mouth or the section in "My Own Eyes" about the lemonade. Except in those situations, it's the reverse. The humor comes from a mundane example thrown in among a bunch of extreme examples. "One of Those Days" does that a lot too.
That's my take anyway.