Lame Claim to Fame

Moderator: Moderators

MondayBlast

Re: Lame Claim to Fame

Post by MondayBlast »

I really hope this, or another song is a BNL style parody.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

So, it's been heavily hypothesized that this song will be about Internet "celebrities". That's a very strong possibility, and could potentially be a really great song. It's also been heavily hypothesized that the Southern Culture on the Skids style parody is "My Own Eyes," based on a character claiming to see ridiculous things. Also a strong possibility, with a lot of hilarious potential.

But I thought of another possibility today. I was thinking about how usually the more eccentric style parodies (Hardware Store, Pancreas, Eddie Vedder) are in the second track spot. SCOTS is a pretty eccentric band. So, I was pondering the possibilities of the Southern Culture on the Skids style parody being "Lame Claim to Fame," and I thought of Duck Dynasty. I'm not a fan of the show, but I know for a while, the show was absolutely huge.

The originals were recorded in late 2012 and early 2013. Duck Dynasty premiered in March 2012 and had beome popular by both of these recording dates. These recording dates were also well before the Duck Dynasty homophobic controversy (December 2013). Duck Dynasty would fit PERFECTLY with the redneck style of SCOTS, and it would also match the theme of "Lame Claim to Fame". I mean, they're famous for what? Making duck calls...or something?

Another extremely popular redneck family that was huge at the time of this song's recording: Honey Boo Boo. So perhaps "Lame Claim to Fame" is actually a SCOTS style parody about these one or both of these redneck families who got famous for really lame reasons.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

Bruce the Duck wrote:So, it's been heavily hypothesized that this song will be about Internet "celebrities". That's a very strong possibility, and could potentially be a really great song. It's also been heavily hypothesized that the Southern Culture on the Skids style parody is "My Own Eyes," based on a character claiming to see ridiculous things. Also a strong possibility, with a lot of hilarious potential.

But I thought of another possibility today. I was thinking about how usually the more eccentric style parodies (Hardware Store, Pancreas, Eddie Vedder) are in the second track spot. SCOTS is a pretty eccentric band. So, I was pondering the possibilities of the Southern Culture on the Skids style parody being "Lame Claim to Fame," and I thought of Duck Dynasty. I'm not a fan of the show, but I know for a while, the show was absolutely huge.

The originals were recorded in late 2012 and early 2013. Duck Dynasty premiered in March 2012 and had beome popular by both of these recording dates. These recording dates were also well before the Duck Dynasty homophobic controversy (December 2013). Duck Dynasty would fit PERFECTLY with the redneck style of SCOTS, and it would also match the theme of "Lame Claim to Fame". I mean, they're famous for what? Making duck calls...or something?

Another extremely popular redneck family that was huge at the time of this song's recording: Honey Boo Boo. So perhaps "Lame Claim to Fame" is actually a SCOTS style parody about these one or both of these redneck families who got famous for really lame reasons.
You're good at this, Bruce! No reason to believe this isn't 100% on point, really. Maybe it won't focus just on those 2 families, though, and still mention other people like Internet celebrities.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

CharlesNelson wrote: You're good at this, Bruce!
Ha! Thanks, I guess, but I think one of my hypotheses has to turn out to be accurate in order to claim I'm "good" at it. But there does seem to be a natural alignment between these subjects. We shall see.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I think he would be more likely to make this song about a bunch of people who are famous for no apparent reason, but if this is a SCOTS style parody, then I could definitely see him focusing in Duck Dynasty. That could be pretty funny, given that they were basically given their own show because they're hillbillies with beards who make duck calls.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
CheeseSandwich

Post by CheeseSandwich »

The title of this song makes me think it'll be about famous people on Youtube and other internet who became famous for doing dumb stuff.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

I know Al's original titles don't usually relate closely to the style parody target, but I can't help thinking how close this is to the Foo Fighters' "Long Road to Ruin." It's a little bit older of a song (from a couple albums back) but Al is a big Foo fan and we now know he was listening to them during the time a few of the originals were written/recorded. Just a thought. Would absolutely love to hear a FF style song.
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

Bruce the Duck wrote:So, it's been heavily hypothesized that this song will be about Internet "celebrities". That's a very strong possibility, and could potentially be a really great song. It's also been heavily hypothesized that the Southern Culture on the Skids style parody is "My Own Eyes," based on a character claiming to see ridiculous things. Also a strong possibility, with a lot of hilarious potential.

Brilliant, Holmes! :detective:

Now I'm thinking maybe the lyrics will be similar to "Talk Soup." Like a song sequel in which one of the talk show guests was such a hit that they got their own spinoff show!
Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios
Occasional

Post by Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios »

I finally have a reason to be proud to share
Spoiler:
Kim Kardashian's birthday.
Jettkoral
Occasional

Post by Jettkoral »

Hands down my favorite song on the album. Hilarious!