My Own Eyes

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Re: My Own Eyes

Post by CharlesNelson »

OK so regarding the main speculation thread - while the rap thing was a fakeout, there's also the possibility of it being a Southern Culture on the Skids style parody. That idea was connected to My Own Eyes because of SCOTS's hillbilly-esque vibe and how well that could connect to incredible tall tales. SCOTS has both a male and a female vocalist - could this be where Amanda Palmer comes into play?
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

CharlesNelson wrote:OK so regarding the main speculation thread - while the rap thing was a fakeout, there's also the possibility of it being a Southern Culture on the Skids style parody. That idea was connected to My Own Eyes because of SCOTS's hillbilly-esque vibe and how well that could connect to incredible tall tales. SCOTS has both a male and a female vocalist - could this be where Amanda Palmer comes into play?
Amanda Palmer's voice and singing style are pretty different from Mary Huff's.

Given Al's history of bringing in guest artists on style parodies of their own work, I'm really starting to think that Al brought Amanda in for a pastiche of either the Dresden Dolls or her solo work. Something inspired by the Evelyn Evelyn project specifically would definitely make sense as a duet. A straight-forward Dresden Dolls style parody likely wouldn't need a band demo, though.
alfan727
Occasional

Post by alfan727 »

I think it's a parody of in my mind.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

alfan727 wrote:I think it's a parody of in my mind.
If you check out some other threads, we are pretty sure that we have discovered all the parody targets, meaning that My Own Eyes would be an original :lol:
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
bryce87
Obsessed

Post by bryce87 »

which artist sings "In my Mind?" That's a common title
CharlesNelson
Regular

Post by CharlesNelson »

bryce87 wrote:which artist sings "In my Mind?" That's a common title
Yeah, and Al doesn't parody common-sounding song titles to make the new song another common-sounding song title. Think of his other "anti-love songs" like "One More Minute" and "If That Isn't Love." And there has not been a popular song called "In My Mind" since 2010, by Robyn. Not a high-charting song.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios
Occasional

Post by Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios »

Bruce the Duck wrote:it would feel really weird without a love song. "In 3-D" is the only album without one so far. :(
Which is the love song on the first album? "Ricky"?
CharlesNelson
Regular

Post by CharlesNelson »

Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:it would feel really weird without a love song. "In 3-D" is the only album without one so far. :(
Which is the love song on the first album? "Ricky"?
"Such a Groovy Guy," I think, because it's about a guy who can't understand why his girlfriend dumped him.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Right. Though more of a self-centered take, it's in the same vein as WBYL.

It's possible that Al has exhausted all possible angles (break-up, unrequited attraction, obsession, etc) that he can for possible love songs. :wub:
CharlesNelson
Regular

Post by CharlesNelson »

Bruce the Duck wrote:It's possible that Al has exhausted all possible angles (break-up, unrequited attraction, obsession, etc) that he can for possible love songs. :wub:
Nothing is impossible for our supreme leader and benevolent dictator, Dr. Pope "Weird Al" Yankovic the First, Last and Only. If The Great One desires it to be so, it will be so. Burn unbelievers like Bruce at the stake! The pervasion of fun exists except for the lack of fun.