Mission Statement

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Mission Statement

Post by TMBJon »

Marko_The_Odd wrote:So are you saying that there's no way on predicting what the song is about or that we should be thinking backwards as to what artist would have a style that would lead Al to do a song with the title Mission Statement? Because Germs feels like a theme that comes naturally from it being a Nine Inch Nails styled song.

Whereas something like Craigslist came mostly out of how it unlike Doors-like a theme it is.
Right exactly. In the latter case, I don't think we ever could have predicted The Doors based on Craigslist. (Although in that case, I think we had the single art with Al as Jim Morrison right away.)
Germs is a case where, theoretically, someone could have happened upon NIN based on the title and the themes that NIN songs typically evoke. All I am really speculating is that the title Mission Statement could be a song where, in retrospect, we may realize that we could have gotten it. And given that, Radiohead would be one decent guess.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

And "Weasel Stomping Day". In fact, I think I remember someone guessing a Christmas-style song for that one.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Well I'm also judging a little bit on track length. For example, Jackson Park Express is probably not a Ramones style parody.

And I think if Al was to tackle Radiohead, this one seems most likely. Though First World Problems could be it as well, but the shorter track time makes me think otherwise.
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

Haha, I'm not even a huge Radiohead fan and I've really become obsessed with the idea of Al doing a style parody of them. I can totally see him spewing all sorts of corporate jargon in Thom Yorke's repetitive vocal style ("yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon" etc). I agree with those who think this will be the "Patton pastiche" and am still strongly leaning towards Radiohead. Then again, maybe it's a crazy Flaming Lips type song about a company with a crazy mission statement reflective of their crazy stage show? That would be crazy.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Bruce the Duck wrote:And "Weasel Stomping Day". In fact, I think I remember someone guessing a Christmas-style song for that one.
I also seem to recall someone guessing it would be a parody of that "Numa Numa" song. :lol:
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

My other left field guess for this one is 90's era Beastie Boys.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

He already did Beastie Boys as a style parody. He probably wouldn't do them again.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

True, but I've just found that just because Al has done an artist before doesn't rule out he wouldn't do them again. Particularly if their sound has changed over the years, like with how Trigger Happy was early Beach Boys while Pancreas was later Beach Boys.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

The Trigger Happy/Pancreas connection is a fair point.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

But Pancreas wasnt a Beach Boys style parody, it was Brian Wilson. Yes he was the creative genius behind the Beach Boys, but his solo stuff had a few differences. And one could argue that Trigger Happy is a Jan and Dean style parody, or surf rock in general
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ