Mission Statement

Moderator: Moderators

JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Mission Statement

Post by JEDM »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
JEDM wrote:Mormons seem to still be slightly popular, but I doubt he'd go down any "religious" path. It would fit the "Mission Statement" title though.
"Pretty Fly for a Rabbi?"
Touché.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

He also did "Amish Paradise," so the topic is not off-limits, but I doubt he'd do it for an original. I don't know why exactly, but those things seem to work best as parodies.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I doubt this would be religious-themed. Why would he do a song mocking Mormons when Book of Mormon pretty much cornered the market on funny Mormon songs? This almost has to be about the mission statement of a business or club. I'm guessing a business, and it will be full of indecipherable double-speak.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I have a feeling that guessing what this song is about is a bit like speculating what "Germs" would be about. The lyrics of Germs aren't really the point, so much as it being a Nine Inch Nails style parody. I think that's what this will be - a song whose focus is more on the style parody aspect than comedic lyrics. Just a guess, of course!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

TMBJon wrote:I have a feeling that guessing what this song is about is a bit like speculating what "Germs" would be about. The lyrics of Germs aren't really the point, so much as it being a Nine Inch Nails style parody. I think that's what this will be - a song whose focus is more on the style parody aspect than comedic lyrics. Just a guess, of course!
Of course the lyrics of "Germs" are the point of the song. The song is about a germaphobe. The style is NIN, but there's still a discernible subject of the song. What you said there doesn't make sense. That's like saying, the point of "Skipper Dan" isn't about a guy who is stuck in a job he hates instead of doing what he wants. It's just a Weezer style parody. No, it's both!

All of Al's originals combine a humorous topic with a style of a band/artist. Since we have nothing to go on as far as the style of this one yet, all we have to speculate on is the subject matter.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Bruce the Duck wrote:That's like saying, the point of "Skipper Dan" isn't about a guy who is stuck in a job he hates instead of doing what he wants. It's just a Weezer style parody. No, it's both!-
Actually, that one is precisely the opposite! It's primarily a comedy song, which happens to riff off of Weezer.
I highly doubt that Al set out to do a song about a germaphobe and then settled on making it sound like NIN. I think he wanted to do a Nine Inch Nails style parody and later realized the perfect subject matter given their oft paranoid lyrics.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Also I could see this being a Radiohead or Muse style parody. Corporate banality, paranoia and overload of information seem like very Radiohead-ish themes, while the title also seems very Muse-ish.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I don't know what about "Mission Statement" gives you that idea. We don't know a single thing about it yet. Is there a popular artist (either contemporary or classic) whose style would lend itself to a song about a Mission Statement? If so, what artist do you have in mind?

And still what would the song really be about? So far, I think Big Spoon's idea is the most plausible.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

TMBJon wrote:I have a feeling that guessing what this song is about is a bit like speculating what "Germs" would be about. The lyrics of Germs aren't really the point, so much as it being a Nine Inch Nails style parody. I think that's what this will be - a song whose focus is more on the style parody aspect than comedic lyrics. Just a guess, of course!

So are you saying that there's no way on predicting what the song is about or that we should be thinking backwards as to what artist would have a style that would lead Al to do a song with the title Mission Statement? Because Germs feels like a theme that comes naturally from it being a Nine Inch Nails styled song.

Whereas something like Craigslist came mostly out of how it unlike Doors-like a theme it is.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Marko_The_Odd wrote:Corporate banality, paranoia and overload of information seem like very Radiohead-ish themes
Right, that was what I was speculating on.

Having said that, I want to reiterate this was a total stab in the dark. It's more or less impossible to guess a style parody from the title alone. Over the last few albums, only Don't Download This Song, I'll Sue Ya, Wanna B Ur Lovr, and Bob could have possibly been guessed based on title alone.