Mission Statement

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Mission Statement

Post by TMBJon »

MandatoryFun wrote:Hadn't thought about it that way. I think I agree. But all the tracks on the album represent some weird overarching message like that for me. Most of the songs feel like jabs at shitty millennials.
Yes!! There are definitely some strong overtones like that to this album.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
SirYelof

Post by SirYelof »

darkhornet wrote:Wow. Microsoft laid off over 12,000 people with an awful memo. This thing sounds a lot like Mission Statement:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -memo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's why the (ahem) younger folks may not appreciate this as much as those of us who have been in corporate America (and even seriously spent time deciphering Mission Statements) for the last 20 years. We already make fun of the biz-blab language that is often inherent in these things -- the style of writing in that Microsoft memo is de rigueur for CEO all-hands memos, investor calls, and other mass communications that have to allow some wriggle room.

The fact that it's the complete opposite of what CSNY are associated with is hilarious. It's the same juxtaposition that makes Sports Song funny -- inspirational chants by sports-crazed masses don't usually use multisyllabic words and bother to point out that they're only speaking figuratively. Or that makes "I like your boobs" funny in Jackson Park Express -- you're expecting something else and then whammo!
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

SirYelof wrote: The fact that it's the complete opposite of what CSNY are associated with is hilarious. It's the same juxtaposition that makes Sports Song funny -- inspirational chants by sports-crazed masses don't usually use multisyllabic words and bother to point out that they're only speaking figuratively.
So glad to see someone else appreciate these two songs. I understand why they're not appealing to a lot of people, but I love that Al can put subtle social satire right after a song with a fart noise in it. He truly covers the entire spectrum of humor with this album.
Just a Bill

Post by Just a Bill »

SirYelof wrote:Or that makes ... funny in Jackson Park Express -- you're expecting something else and then whammo!
Thanks for the sneak-up spoiler. You know, some of us still have our album in shrink until all the videos are released.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Just a Bill wrote:
SirYelof wrote:Or that makes ... funny in Jackson Park Express -- you're expecting something else and then whammo!
Thanks for the sneak-up spoiler. You know, some of us still have our album in shrink until all the videos are released.
Nothing about the album is a spoiler three days after the album is released, and in your case, if you want to avoid finding anything out about the songs you haven't listened to, you should probably avoid this section of the forum.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Kevbo1987 wrote: Nothing about the album is a spoiler three days after the album is released, and in your case, if you want to avoid finding anything out about the songs you haven't listened to, you should probably avoid this section of the forum.
Was about to post the same thing. Come on, people, that's your responsibility, not mine. This is a forum about the very thing you're trying to avoid--what are you doing here???
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

This song has really been growing on me the more I listen to it.
And Peggy
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Skippy wrote:
Kevbo1987 wrote: Nothing about the album is a spoiler three days after the album is released, and in your case, if you want to avoid finding anything out about the songs you haven't listened to, you should probably avoid this section of the forum.
Was about to post the same thing. Come on, people, that's your responsibility, not mine. This is a forum about the very thing you're trying to avoid--what are you doing here???

This.
WeirdFetter
Occasional

Post by WeirdFetter »

Just a Bill wrote:
So? It's out, get off the internet if you don't want to know something about it.
Always and forever a Weird Al fan.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Just a Bill wrote:Thanks for the sneak-up spoiler. You know, some of us still have our album in shrink until all the videos are released.
SPOILER ALERT: In Another One Rides The Bus, Al says he hasn't been in a crowd like this since he went to see The Who.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.