Handy

Moderator: Moderators

MandatoryFun
Occasional

Re: Handy

Post by MandatoryFun »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
eleventhirtyfour wrote:I liked it! It was Tim and Eric-esque. Does anybody know who was responsible for the special effects/animation? Was it Al?
Al most likely directed what he wanted in the video, but I'm sure he had someone else do the actual animation/effects. I don't know that Al has any actual animation expertise.
Bruce, read tmbjon's post. He addressed this.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
ahmyeyesdotcom
Occasional

Post by ahmyeyesdotcom »

Man, if you guys thought this video looked low budget, you're going to HATE First World Problems.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

...I actually REALLY liked First World Problems!!! It is low budget, but it is good!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Muppetboy09 wrote:...I actually REALLY liked First World Problems!!! It is low budget, but it is good!
Definitely. It shows what can be done with a little imagination. You don't need a huge budget to produce good work.
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
Muppetboy09 wrote:...I actually REALLY liked First World Problems!!! It is low budget, but it is good!
Definitely. It shows what can be done with a little imagination. You don't need a huge budget to produce good work.
The content in the video was great, and it's clear that it was a tiny budget, but that doesn't make it bad. Although with all the same content, but a bigger budget, I honestly think it might be my new favorite
Spoiler:
...and that wig...*shudders*
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
ahmyeyesdotcom
Occasional

Post by ahmyeyesdotcom »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
Huh. Well, to each his own. I really preferred the Handy video to First World Problems. I thought it was much funnier and less cheap-looking.
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

So far, my list from favorite to least is:
Foil
Word Crimes
Tacky
Handy
FWP

I haven't watched the other leaked ones yet. I'd like to be surprised still.
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Finally was able to watch this about an hour ago.

Initially, I was very disappointed - but perhaps because I set my expectations too high. Since this is the lead opening track of the album, I guess I was expecting a video on the level of White & Nerdy or Perform This Way. I watched the Fancy video a few times over the past week to familiarize myself with any shot-for-shot recreations that might be done (those videos are by far my favorite, such as Fat, Like a Surgeon, or Smells Like Nirvana). I don't think there was a single thing directly poking fun at Iggy's video. I mean, Tacky had a myriad of people dancing in different ways to the same song, Word Crimes had random hashtags over the video and the "Weird Al has a big dictionary" line, and Foil, while a little subtle, started out with Al staring at the screen with the same expression and hairstyle as Lorde. I was really impressed with the first three videos.

So I was disappointed after my first viewing of Handy. I thought the green screen effects looked very low-budget and the gags weren't quite as classic-Al-cheesy as I would've liked. After going on this forum and fully realizing it was going for a low-budget commercial style, I re-watched it, and it was definitely better. Not something to be satisfied with for the first track on the album, but definitely decent by the standards of lots of Al's miscellaneous, non-lead videos. But yeah, I haven't seen any of my Facebook friends talk about this like they did with the first three, and if it took us on the WOWAY forums a little bit to get the whole low-budget commercial thing, it's not going to be obvious to the average casual viewer.

I'm pretty sure at one point Tacky was planned to be the opening track on MF, hence why Pharrell is the first person thanked (though that could be because he was covered three times on the album). That probably would've been wiser IMO.

So not bad by animated video standards, but it's certainly no SLN or W&N. Interested to see what Al does on Conan tonight.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

drewdy9999 wrote: I'm pretty sure at one point Tacky was planned to be the opening track on MF, hence why Pharrell is the first person thanked (though that could be because he was covered three times on the album). That probably would've been wiser IMO.
Actually, I would guess that Pharrell was the first person thanked because he was parodied TWICE on the album and in the polka. Meaning he signed off on three different songs on the album. The person responsible for making 1/2 of the parodies/polkas possible deserves the first thank you!
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

That's a possibility I mentioned, but the order of artists thanked goes Pharrell, Lorde, Iggy/Charli, Robin Thicke/T.I., Imagine Dragons. I'm guessing the original parody order was Tacky, Foil, Handy, Word Crimes, Inactive, but Al changed it to be more recent.