Handy

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Handy

Post by Bruce the Duck »

CheeseSandwich wrote:I actually think that "Handy" song will be a parody of Happy. I mean think of it, the concept of it being a song about repairing fits too well. And how many people think that Fancy is considered top song material. Al usually puts hit songs at the top of his main albums, I mean why you think Whatever You Like didn't appear at the top of Alpocalypse?
So Handy will most likely be Happy and Tacky will be Fancy
Yeah, I was initially really leaning that way. There are so many great reasons why it would make sense. The roof line, the fact that "Happy" was and still is a huge hit and probably the biggest hit on the album, the fact that it would make a great video, but the more I listen to "Happy," the more I feel like it wouldn't work. The word is sung pretty quickly in Pharrell's version and "Handy" is too clunky a word to fit into that spot comfortably. On the other hand, in "Fancy", the word is drawn out, almost into two different words. "I'm so fan-cy". "Handy" feels better in that spot and "Tacky" better in "Happy's" spot. It was an interesting idea, but I'm leaning heavily away from it at this point.

It seemed strange though that such a huge hit would be relegated to the 11th track spot, but maybe that was to keep it away from "Word Crimes" since they are both Pharrell parodies.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

The Sporkman wrote:
CheeseSandwich wrote:I actually think that "Handy" song will be a parody of Happy. I mean think of it, the concept of it being a song about repairing fits too well. And how many people think that Fancy is considered top song material. Al usually puts hit songs at the top of his main albums, I mean why you think Whatever You Like didn't appear at the top of Alpocalypse?
Fancy is the more current hit, though. And it is a hit. It currently tops the Billboard Hot 100 list and has for four weeks now.
And it was the last song Al recorded for the album, which is usually the "lead parody." And, as has been previously mentioned, Al flew all the way to Colorado to get permission and seemed to want to hurry up and get the "Fancy" parody recorded and mastered so he could get the album out. I would have to think he wanted to do that so that "Fancy" would still be a huge hit when the album comes out. I'm not sure he'd be that concerned over the 11th song on the album.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Or he wanted the album done before "Happy" was too dated. He had a good idea for what was the #1 song at the time and didn't see another summer hit on the horizon, so he moved quickly so he could finish mastering the album and get it out there.

I'm not saying that's necessarily more likely than the other version, but it's not inconceivable either.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

You guys have kinda been missing it...but what if this is about a guy with more than two hands?
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Well, Fancy has been at the top of the charts for months. It's currently #6 and Happy isn't even in the top 20. So it would make sense for Fancy to be at the top of the album. Fancy is also #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and Happy is #10, and decreasing.
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I'm calling it: Handy is a parody of Fancy and the word Tokyo is switched with Home Depot.
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Marko_The_Odd wrote:I'm calling it: Handy is a parody of Fancy and the word Tokyo is switched with Home Depot.
It better be.
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

Marko_The_Odd wrote:I'm calling it: Handy is a parody of Fancy and the word Tokyo is switched with Home Depot.
Ingenious! :lol:

Or how about "From Ace all the way to Lowe's"
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Okay, I listened to both Fancy and Happy. I'm leaning towards Handy will be a parody of Happy, dunno why. Yeah, the roof line. :) Also, a bit off topic, but as much as I hated Fancy, I loved Happy - it's a great song, and whatever Al's parody is, would absolutely love him singing that.

SEVA.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I agree that "Happy" is a great song - Easily the best of the targets on this album for me, with "Blurred Lines" right behind. I'd recommend checking out Pharrell's entire album. It's my favorite album of 2014, at least for the next 13 days.