Word Crimes

Moderator: Moderators

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: Word Crimes

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Do you guys think he will be able to pull this off live? I hope so, it's my fav on the album. There's just soo much going on with they "Hey now listen up"/"Lousy Writer"/"OOOH"/"Hey, Hey, Hey!"
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

RunningWithScissors wrote:Do you guys think he will be able to pull this off live? I hope so, it's my fav on the album. There's just soo much going on with they "Hey now listen up"/"Lousy Writer"/"OOOH"/"Hey, Hey, Hey!"
I'm sure Al will figure out a way to pull off a live full length version of this. For the background vocals, I think some may be prerecorded while some may be pulled off by Jim/Steve/Bermuda.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

From Rolling Stone
Robin Thicke, Pharrell Lose Multi-Million Dollar 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit
Marvin Gaye estate wins $7.3 million judgment after months of legal drama
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3U1UA2cRt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Good thing parody is "fair use" so Al isn't liable for damages.
giant_frying_pan
Occasional

Post by giant_frying_pan »

I wondered if there would be implications for Word Crimes.

Hopefully Gaye's estate are okay with it!
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

My guess is Al already had a plan for this built into the royalty structure. The song was under fire since day 1 for this (Well, that and....other things....), so he probably knew of the possible risks.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

If anything, it would probably shift a percent of the royalties to the Gaye estate rather than going to Thicke/Pharrell. Great!

However, I did hesitate when I heard about this ruling because I'm afraid it does set a dangerous precedent for songs that sound a lot like other songs...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

It kind of bugs me when Al parodies morally questionable songs. Because then I feel guilty for liking Al's song so much. Word crimes is awesome because I'm a Grammar Nazi like Al. The problem for me when Al parodies these immoral songs is when my kids ask me what the original of this song is, and I'm like, "yeah, you really shouldn't listen to it".
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Muldernscully wrote:It kind of bugs me when Al parodies morally questionable songs. Because then I feel guilty for liking Al's song so much. Word crimes is awesome because I'm a Grammar Nazi like Al. The problem for me when Al parodies these immoral songs is when my kids ask me what the original of this song is, and I'm like, "yeah, you really shouldn't listen to it".
I don't think you can shelter your kids from dirty songs anyway (unless they're todlers). All you can do is explain why they are immoral.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

It's tough, because I like to buy the original songs from iTunes to create an original/parody playlist for each album. So, then I'm searching for the clean version on songs that swear, and I have to put up with the less than desireable lyrics. I'm a completest/perfectionist, so I want all the originals for my playlists, but I also don't want to listen to the garbage of the original songs.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Muldernscully wrote:It's tough, because I like to buy the original songs from iTunes to create an original/parody playlist for each album. So, then I'm searching for the clean version on songs that swear, and I have to put up with the less than desireable lyrics. I'm a completest/perfectionist, so I want all the originals for my playlists, but I also don't want to listen to the garbage of the original songs.
I don't even put all the parodies to my playlist, let alone the originals. When it comes to music, I'm an opposite of completionist, I see no reason to keep the songs I don't enjoy in my hard drive.