Word Crimes

Moderator: Moderators

JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Word Crimes

Post by JEDM »

Unless I'm forgetting something, this might be the original song with the most "adult content" Al's ever tackled. I'm guessing this will also replace "CIA" on stage.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Word Crimes

Post by Big Spoon »

Very excited for this song! It'll probably be about the various crimes against English people make when speaking, but I hope that it's more than just a list song.
And Peggy
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

It almost has to be somewhat of a "list" song, but the original is so wordy--almost conversational--that he could easily weave in a storyline. That is, rather than simply listing different kinds of "grammar police" infractions, it could be a guy singing to his girlfriend about how he loves her but has to break up because she continually mangles the English language, but within that we would of course get a laundry list of examples. (Kind of like an extension of the "Jillian" verse in CBNC).
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

mrmeadows wrote:It almost has to be somewhat of a "list" song, but the original is so wordy--almost conversational--that he could easily weave in a storyline. That is, rather than simply listing different kinds of "grammar police" infractions, it could be a guy singing to his girlfriend about how he loves her but has to break up because she continually mangles the English language, but within that we would of course get a laundry list of examples. (Kind of like an extension of the "Jillian" verse in CBNC).
That's exactly what I'm envisioning for this one.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Like all the other parodies on this album, this one has been trimmed down a bit from the original. I'm guessing that Al cut out the T.I. rap solo, which is a shame since Al excels at rapping.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Maybe he cut out Thicke's second verse and the second chorus.
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

mrmeadows wrote:It almost has to be somewhat of a "list" song, but the original is so wordy--almost conversational--that he could easily weave in a storyline. That is, rather than simply listing different kinds of "grammar police" infractions, it could be a guy singing to his girlfriend about how he loves her but has to break up because she continually mangles the English language, but within that we would of course get a laundry list of examples. (Kind of like an extension of the "Jillian" verse in CBNC).
I know most Americans suck at the English language, but the whole "grammatical errors" theme seems trite.

Maybe Word Crimes has a political connotation?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

tomatochives wrote: I know most Americans suck at the English language, but the whole "grammatical errors" theme seems trite.

Maybe Word Crimes has a political connotation?
Political words? I don't follow....

As for bad grammar being a trite topic, are there other songs that go into this? I think TLI had one on semicolon misuse that was pretty funny, but I can't think of any others.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Me neither. Do you mean like when a politician like Joe Biden or Sarah Palin make gaffes in their speeches? I really don't think so. It's "Crimes" because that just rhymes with the "Lines" in the song. We've seen that Al notices grammatical errors around him. (I still laugh every time I see a "12 Items or Less" sign) I wouldn't bet on much else with this album, but I'd bet hard money that this song is about common grammar errors and word usage errors in general.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Anyway, just because a subject has been "done" by others before doesn't mean Al can't do it. I don't recall AL ever having a song all about about bad grammar (aside from the occasional reference here and there), so it's new territory for him. Also, like I mentioned in another thread, he's not the first one to do a "Radioactive" parody called "Inactive", either...but I'll bet he does the best one.