Word Crimes

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Word Crimes

Post by anthontherun »

Muldernscully wrote:It kind of bugs me when Al parodies morally questionable songs. Because then I feel guilty for liking Al's song so much. Word crimes is awesome because I'm a Grammar Nazi like Al. The problem for me when Al parodies these immoral songs is when my kids ask me what the original of this song is, and I'm like, "yeah, you really shouldn't listen to it".
It's exactly the opposite for me. I hated how catchy "Blurred Lines" was because the lyrics were so sleazy, so Al parodying it was the best of both worlds. I get the catchy music and now the subject matter is something I can appreciate. If you feel compelled to buy all of Al's source material, I guess I see where you're coming from but from my perspective, "Word Crimes" eliminates the need to listen to "Blurred Lines."
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Good point, anthontherun.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

To me, it just shows Al's genius. I hate Blurred Lines... what non genius can see the line "I know you want it" and say, "Oh, '...to learn some grammar' would fit PERFECTLY there!"

In the past I've loved that too. Al rarely parodies a song the I like (though sometimes I like the original afterwords) But with SOL, both Confessions and TITDT were just horrible sleezy songs I hated, and they seemed stupid and pointless. But to me Al was saying, "See how dumb these are? I'm gonna make them dumber!"
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

anthontherun wrote: I hated how catchy "Blurred Lines" was because the lyrics were so sleazy, so Al parodying it was the best of both worlds. I get the catchy music and now the subject matter is something I can appreciate. If you feel compelled to buy all of Al's source material, I guess I see where you're coming from but from my perspective, "Word Crimes" eliminates the need to listen to "Blurred Lines."
I came here to express this exact sentiment. I heard "Blurred Lines" on iTunes Radio last night, and all I could think was, "if I didn't hate the lyrics so much, I would totally buy this song." Thanks to "Word Crimes," I can enjoy the music and the lyrics without feeling dirty.
yank
Occasional

Re: Weirdal.com And Social Network Site Chit Chat

Post by yank »

Does this belong here?:

The brilliant man who made Al's Word Crimes music video was discovered by Al when the Weird One watched "the shop vac video" and called him. Like everybody else I thought this vid was some sort of tutorial on how to use a name-brand shop vac that the guy did for a vacuum company (didn't YOU?). But Shop Vac is a COOOOL vid, and it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sOfO8Ei1g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"First of all, I don't particularly MIND the rabid wolverine in my underwear...."

"I was not shocked by the power of the Internet," he said. "I was counting on it."

"IT'S THE WEEKEND!" At the Zoo.fm
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

No, it should probably be put in the Word Crimes thread
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

And I believe it was discussed
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

So there's a line in the song where I'm not sure exactly how Al intended it to come out. The "Like I could care less," one. Does Al mean it, "(for example) 'I could care less'", or "Like I could care less" as a whole phrase? Same joke either way, but still curious as to how others interpret it.
Last edited by Big Spoon on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
And Peggy
Annie27
Addicted

Post by Annie27 »

I always thought he meant for example, but I'm not sure.
Concerts: 5/30/15
6/24/16
3/25/18
7/06/19

"I have to assume my enemies are idiots"- Al Yankovic
Devoted Al fan since the very young age of two
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I think it would have to be "such as, 'I could care less'"--otherwise, it feels kind of jarring to shift the perspective like that. He does that later on with "What's a contraction?" but that's a reference to the original song.