Mandatory Fun Artwork

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Mandatory Fun Artwork

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Really? No thread on the artwork yet? I thought there was.

Well, anyway, we've seen a couple images from the album artwork so far, and it looks like it's not specifically a Soviet theme, but a propaganda poster theme in general. We now have propaganda posters from Russia and China. What other famous propaganda poster themes might be included in the artwork.

In Googling different countries that might have had propaganda posters which would inspire Al, I searched for Vietnam. A lot of Vietnam posters included an ensemble of differently dressed characters. See here:

In fact, a lot of the ones that come up on Google have some of these same characters. That might be a possibility for the band photo, though Al would likely do something a little more humorous with it than he did with the others, like obviously making Ruben be a girl in the photo.

What other famous propaganda photos might be parodied in the album artwork? Might he include a US poster as well? Any other ideas for the band photo?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Mandatory Fun Artwork

Post by Big Spoon »

LOVE the artwork/theme for this album. Huge fan of war propaganda, even wrote a few papers about in college, as well as one major one in high school.

American propaganda hadn't crossed my mind, but granted until earlier I thought it was all Soviet themed.

It'd be great to see him as Uncle Sam giving the "YOU" point.
Last edited by Big Spoon on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
And Peggy
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Uncle Sam could be the last one he posts. I want you to buy my new album, with his eyebrow raised

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

The Uncle Sam one would work. But this one would be funnier:

Or maybe that one can be for Ruben. :P
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Bruce the Duck wrote:Or maybe that one can be for Ruben. :P
Why are you so obsessed with Rubén dressing in drag? haha...

Seriously though, I don't get why it is supposed to be inherently funny to see a man in drag (especially a bigger guy). I thought he was really funny in this role during Like A Surgeon, but that was more about how seriously he took the part, not simply the fact that he was wearing a cone bra.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

TMBJon wrote:I thought he was really funny in this role during Like A Surgeon, but that was more about how seriously he took the part, not simply the fact that he was wearing a cone bra.
Earning him the nickname Señor Conébra. :whoot:
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I doubt Al would lump in American WWII propaganda posters with those of oppressive, totalitarian regimes. (Although that might help him sell more albums in the more right-wing parts of the country. :F )
Cameron the Taco
Occasional

Post by Cameron the Taco »

I'm waiting for a parody of this one:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3172521563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Love the artwork! In a strange way, it seems really new, refreshing, and totally different.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

TMBJon wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:Or maybe that one can be for Ruben. :P
Why are you so obsessed with Rubén dressing in drag? haha...

Seriously though, I don't get why it is supposed to be inherently funny to see a man in drag (especially a bigger guy). I thought he was really funny in this role during Like A Surgeon, but that was more about how seriously he took the part, not simply the fact that he was wearing a cone bra.
It's not the drag that's funny. It's the way Ruben is often put in the least desirable position in the band. He was in drag in the "Headline News" video and stabbed to death on the floor in "Running with Scissors". Personally, I love it when Ruben is the butt of Al's jokes.

Plus, you gotta admit - he's pretty darn sexy as a woman - just look at the SOL picture! ;)