NOW That's What I Call Polka!

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

NOW That's What I Call Polka!

Post by Bruce the Duck »

This thread is not necessarily for speculating on the songs in the polka. There is already a thread in polls and games for that. This is for discussing the polka as a whole. There are several posts in the overall speculation thread. Maybe they can be moved?

Bermuda has said that this is the best polka medley Al's ever done, specifically he said it flowed better than the others. My question for us to speculate on is what do you think it is that makes the song flow so well? I have three possible ideas.

1. There's some overarching theme tying it together either like The Alternative Polka or the Hot Rocks Polka. Having all the songs from a particular artist (won't go into possibilities for that as it's been done to death) could certainly help make it "flow". I think this is the least likely possibility however for reasons that others have already stated, mostly because of the three year gap between albums.

2. Another option is just that the songs he chose or the way he arranged it just gapped to work better than on other albums. This is more likely than a themed polka, but I think there's another possibility.

3. Perhaps Al used one particular song to "frame" the polka in the same way he used "Poker Face" to frame the last one. I think it worked really well to begin and end on the same song last time. It might even go back to the same song repeatedly almost like it was the chorus of the song overall. There are plenty of examples where Al tries something, it works, and then he uses that idea again on the very next album. Examples include dual parodies (Bedrock, Plumbing), starting polkas with original arrangements (PYEO, BP, TAP), classic rock movie songs (TSB,OTASH). So I could see Al repeating the Polka Face method this time around. Possible songs to use for this might include Harlem Shake (this would really make it flow since it's mostly instrumental), Gangnam Style (there's no way Al could ignore the biggest hit on YouTube of time), or Happy (this is the one I'm rooting for).

So which of these do you guys feel is most likely the reason the polka flows so well? Or do you have another idea that you think might be the case?
Last edited by Bruce the Duck on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Re: Mandatory Fun Polka

Post by The Sporkman »

Bruce the Duck wrote:So I could see Al repeating the Polka Face method this time around. Possible songs to use for this might include Harlem Shake (this would really make it flow since it's mostly instrumental), Gangnam Style (there's no way Al could ignore the biggest hit on YouTube of time), or Happy (this is the one I'm rooting for).
It would be awkward to begin the polka with "Happy" since its chorus starts with a conjunction -- "Because I'm happy..." You would hear a musical intro and then suddenly "because." Bermuda said that it flows so well it almost feels like its own song. So I would imagine the lyrical arrangement would make at least some kind logical and grammatical sense. I think for the opener we can rule out any song whose chorus is meant as a dependent or coordinating clause continuing the thought of the verse. So it wouldn't begin with "Blurred Lines" ("And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl") either, I'd imagine.
bizarreblair
Occasional

Post by bizarreblair »

When SOL came out, my wife and I hadn't had any kids yet, and I was working out every other day. (Mostly running on a treadmill.) I listen to my iPod when I run, and when "Polkarama!" would come on, I noticed that it builds in tempo from song to song. The reason I mention running is because you might pick this up subconsciously and appreciate it on the level where you understand in your brain that it "builds", but as I run to the beat, each new song in the polka would increase my speed. I got a deeper appreciation of the work Al put into it.

One of Al's writing tips has always been that the song should get funnier/better as it goes along. It shouldn't be "only hilarious joke at the beginning. Oops, couldn't think of anything else, but here's the rest of the song." I think you can apply the same logic to the polka (I know there are some musical breaks and dynamics within, but it still builds) as well as to Al's career. He is always striving to top himself (a difficult feat with each album).
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

One thing I'm willing to bet on is that he put "Royals" smack dab in the middle of the song. In most of his polkas, there is a percussion break that demarcates the halfway point. Since "Royals" is 90% drum kit, it would make a lot of sense.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I was thinking of "Somebody That I Used To Know" for that breakdown, snapping, bass line part of the polka.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

TMBJon wrote:I was thinking of "Somebody That I Used To Know" for that breakdown, snapping, bass line part of the polka.
Could be. Although that song is relatively old. I think it came out before Alpocalypse.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

The Sporkman wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:So I could see Al repeating the Polka Face method this time around. Possible songs to use for this might include Harlem Shake (this would really make it flow since it's mostly instrumental), Gangnam Style (there's no way Al could ignore the biggest hit on YouTube of time), or Happy (this is the one I'm rooting for).
It would be awkward to begin the polka with "Happy" since its chorus starts with a conjunction -- "Because I'm happy..." You would hear a musical intro and then suddenly "because." Bermuda said that it flows so well it almost feels like its own song. So I would imagine the lyrical arrangement would make at least some kind logical and grammatical sense. I think for the opener we can rule out any song whose chorus is meant as a dependent or coordinating clause continuing the thought of the verse. So it wouldn't begin with "Blurred Lines" ("And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl") either, I'd imagine.
You're right that it would be weird to start there, but there's no rule that Al can't include parts in the polka that are not limited to the chorus of songs used. Gold Digger is an example of that and there are probably others. Also if Al built a polka around a particular song, it would make sense to include more of said song. That being said, Happy is the one I'd like a polka built around because I love that song. I'm not saying that it's the most likely. Harlem Shake is my pick for the most likely candidate for that.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

tomatochives wrote:
TMBJon wrote:I was thinking of "Somebody That I Used To Know" for that breakdown, snapping, bass line part of the polka.
Could be. Although that song is relatively old. I think it came out before Alpocalypse.
"Somebody That I Used To Know" was a hit from 2012 (#1 for 8 weeks from 4/28/12-6/16/12), nearly a year after Alpocalypse, so it more than qualifies for the 2012-2013 window we should be looking at for MF.

And I agree that its slower tempo makes it a could candidate for the middle breakdown of the polka.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

There's numerous songs that I could easily see Al doing the "Original Intro Fakeout" with like Harlem Shake, Get Lucky, or even Blurred Lines.
WerewolfWario

Post by WerewolfWario »

Howdy, I am a registered lurker from years ago, but I have no idea how to get into my old account. The email attached to it has been long since deleted.

ANYroad, I was thinking about the oft rumored Zeppelin Polka that Paige has denied Al from recording. It would be beautiful if it was finally approved and on MF.

Just my two bits.