How much MF info do you want before the release?

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these "spoilers" would you like to know before Mandatory Fun comes out?

The parody targets
23%
The polka targets
11%
The song titles
29%
Lyrics
2%
Booklet/disc artwork
7%
Hearing the lead single
14%
30-second samples of each track on iTunes/Amazon
5%
The whole album leaking (officially or otherwise)
6%
NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
3%

Total votes: 132

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Re: How much MF info do you want before the release?

Post by mrmeadows »

Parody/polka targets and song titles are all I ask for.

On the other hand, if I had a chance to listen to the whole MF album anytime prior to the official release, I would. (Of course, I'd still buy the album when it became available. I'm no hooligan).
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I went with the same three as everyone so that I could prepare by listening to all the songs parodied and polka'd in advance, and speculate about what's what. At this point though, I'm down for whatever happens. It would be pretty cool to get the album in hand on July 15 not having any more info than we have right now, though I really doubt that's going to be the case.

I don't understand why there is such a dropoff from people who want to know the parody targets but not the polka targets though. Can anyone who selected the former but not the latter please explain their thought process?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

TMBJon wrote:Can anyone who selected the former but not the latter please explain their thought process?
I selected knowing the parody targets, but not the polka targets.

Personally, the Polka on each album always kind of feels like an original to me (I know that probably sounds backwards..) With the parodies, the way Al does them, they always come out sounding just like the original song, minus the vocals/lyrics, so for the most part we have an idea of what to expect. With the polka, the medley has a certain flow to it that, with Al's instrumental changes in mind, it just ends up feeling like a nice surprise seeing how each song is tied in to one another. I'd rather not know the artists in it, it would almost feel like knowing the lyrics already, which is one thing I definitely try to avoid as long as I can.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

^yes yes all of this
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

I second that

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Fair points. I'll sleep on it.

Can we all agree the absolute worst thing would be if 30-second samples of each track on iTunes/Amazon leaked a week before the album?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Jon, I pretty much agree with you. When that happens, the entire album may as well have leaked already. I have nearly zero self-control once I find out the mp3s are floating around there somehow..in fact it's even WORSE. Because at least when I have my first listen to an entire song, all the jokes are fresh and I get to enjoy it and savor the moment, and I appreciate the track much more. But Amazon leaking only a fraction of the song almost pretty much ruins the potential amount I'd enjoy the song when I finally get to hear the whole thing. I mean, the clip that Amazon may feature may totally undersell the real potential of what the full song has and what could make one appreciate it as.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I picked song titles and lead single mostly because I have a feeling they'll realistically be the first things to leak anyway. I want as much of the polka as possible to remain a surprise.

I have a feeling that the "Fancy" parody will be released officially a week ahead of the album with the video following on Monday the 14th (if the lead up to the PTW video was any indication).

I know Al is planning a "world premiere" on "The View", but that doesn't mean he can't put it on YouTube/Vevo before then. I think "world premiere" just refers to the first time the video will be aired on television. I think this was the case with PTW and VH1 Morning Buzz anyway.

Hell, they might just show clips of it instead of the whole thing for all we know. Plus, he should probably know from the W&N/AOL fiasco that guaranteeing a world video premiere doesn't mean anything in the internet age anymore.

As for the song titles, that has the most to do with the parodies. I didn't bother voting for the parody targets this time around because I get the impression from something bermuda said here that all the remaining parody targets will reveal themselves once the titles are released.

I think we'll automatically know them (we already know one after all without knowing ANY of the titles) and there won't be anymore TMZ/Couch Potato type titles that will leave us scratching our heads.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Well Bermuda did say that as of when we asked him, the parody targets would all be obvious at that time. But maybe Al primarily uses those titles as place-holders until he gets closer to the actual release date. I don't mind seeing a track giving away what it is modeled after, but it is nice to see sometimes at least some of the tracks don't give it away. And personally, I kind of feel like Al naming parody tracks in less obvious titles shows off Al's creativity and maybe even gives him more credit towards the parodies not just being simply a lyrical overhaul of the original, but rather a composition that can stand on its own regardless of it being a parody or not. Direct title spoofs can rise and fall with the interest of the listening crowd, but an original title will be placed in the halls of the greats.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

If I can hear the whole thing before July 15th, it wouldn't diminish my enjoyment at all, it would just displace it to an earlier point in time-space. But I wouldn't mind any other kind of spoilers either.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009