How much MF info do you want before the release?

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these "spoilers" would you like to know before Mandatory Fun comes out?

The parody targets
23%
The polka targets
11%
The song titles
29%
Lyrics
2%
Booklet/disc artwork
7%
Hearing the lead single
14%
30-second samples of each track on iTunes/Amazon
5%
The whole album leaking (officially or otherwise)
6%
NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
3%

Total votes: 132

avesjohn
Obsessed

Re: How much MF info do you want before the release?

Post by avesjohn »

I picked parody targets, track list, and hearing the lead single.

Parody targets because, well, making sure I have some familiarity with the songs being parodied will greatly enhance my enjoyment of Al's versions. I didn't choose polka targets because, although the enjoyment is enhanced for those in the same way as with the parodies (i.e., familiarity), the polka medley has always sort of been its own thing, and historically speaking, I usually had to "study" most polka targets after hearing the polka. (From SOL onward, I've usually been familiar with most of the polka targets beforehand.)

Track list because, whether or not the parody subjects are obvious (as Bermuda said they are), half the fun is in speculating what each song will be like. (I was the 27th person to select this option!)

Lead single because, as previously mentioned by someone else, I've gotten my fill of the original version of "Fancy" and am ready to hear the parody already, if only to amp up my anticipation for MF.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Now who is the person who selected "Absolutely Nothing"???
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

TMBJon wrote:Can we all agree the absolute worst thing would be if 30-second samples of each track on iTunes/Amazon leaked a week before the album?
It's between that and lyrics for me. I mean, both are easy enough to avoid, but I can't imagine listening to an Al song for the first time and knowing all the jokes. I remember when Poodle Hat was about to come out, someone got their copy a few days early and typed up all the lyrics, and I think just about everyone bailed on the spoiler topic. Not that the contribution wasn't appreciated, but how much would it suck to listen to WDTAHTM and know that the Simpsons line is coming? That was up there with "Albuquerque" in the "I need to replay this because I missed the next few lines from laughing so hard" territory.

The first listen to a Weird Al song is something sacred, and a completely different experience than the first listen to any other song. Reading the lyrics ahead of time is like reading a transcript of a stand-up act--some of the jokes will probably still land, but you're really cheating yourself.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Song titles and lead parody. The last two albums I got songs as they were leaked or.officially released, so i didnt have the enjoyment of sitting down and listening to a new album straight through. Every other album I had all new albums every time. Id like to get back to that, even if it is for the last album
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I voted for Parody Targets, Polka Targets, and Song Titles. But I want to retract my Polka Target vote. The reasoning g given here has talked me out of it.

Definitely don't want to hear samples or see lyrics.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I like the title of this thread.

For whatever reason, I kinda want to try running this album blind (I'm not the one that voted that, though), but I will cave to pretty much anything, knowing me. Maybe song titles and polka targets?
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

OneWAY wrote:I like the title of this thread.
Yeah, but every time I read it I feel like Samuel L Jackson is yelling at me.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I don't know what category this falls under truly, but for both SOL and Alpocalypse, I made sure to read the lyrics for the polkas. It made guessing how they flow a bit better, and knowing the targets is already halfway there becvause it's not like they're going to change too much.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
weirdajs
Occasional

Post by weirdajs »

I voted for "Absolutely Nothing" because i want to be surprised when I first hear it. Knowing Weird Al the album is going to awesome. I hate to say this but internet leaks kinda ruined Alpocalypse for me IMHO
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

weirdajs wrote:I voted for "Absolutely Nothing" because i want to be surprised when I first hear it. Knowing Weird Al the album is going to awesome. I hate to say this but internet leaks kinda ruined Alpocalypse for me IMHO
I agree completely. The release of Alpocalypse was the most anti-climatic release ever. With over half of the material already having been committed to memory, the "first listen" wasn't very special at all. And the unheard songs didn't really even get to shine, because I had feltike I was waiting through songs like Skipper Dan and Whatever You Like to get to them.

I'm very glad Al did not repeat the Internet Leaks thing again. And I really hope that even the lead single isn't released early this time. I want that first listen of his "final" album to be special.