How much MF info do you want before the release?

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these "spoilers" would you like to know before Mandatory Fun comes out?

The parody targets
23%
The polka targets
11%
The song titles
29%
Lyrics
2%
Booklet/disc artwork
7%
Hearing the lead single
14%
30-second samples of each track on iTunes/Amazon
5%
The whole album leaking (officially or otherwise)
6%
NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
3%

Total votes: 132

Moneybags
Regular

Re: How much MF info do you want before the release?

Post by Moneybags »

Alpocalypse was a great album where over half of the material wasn't "new" by the time it was in stores. There were the five songs on Internet Leaks, the appearance of "Polka Face" in concert a year prior, and "Perform This Way" had an early exposure to the internet. So, really, Alpocalypse contained five unheard of songs, which I think is why it was kind of a letdown.

I admittedly like the idea of finding out the titles and targets, but that's about all I want. I don't want the lyrics, because at that point there's no surprises by the time I get my hands on the album. Also, although I am okay with knowing the recipients of the style parodies ahead of time, I'd rather not find out specifically which songs they sound like until the first listen.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

The style parody targets are one thing I specifically would rather not know--I wanna listen to a song and instantly realize, "Ah, so _______ is the band Patton Oswalt was talking about!" I understand Al's policy to thank the style parody targets now, but I kind of liked it better when it was open to speculation.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

anthontherun wrote:The style parody targets are one thing I specifically would rather not know--I wanna listen to a song and instantly realize, "Ah, so _______ is the band Patton Oswalt was talking about!" I understand Al's policy to thank the style parody targets now, but I kind of liked it better when it was open to speculation.
Guessing the style parodies is always one of my favorite moments upon hearing an Al song for the first time.
And Peggy
LovelySortsOfDeath
Occasional

Post by LovelySortsOfDeath »

quantumerror wrote:
LovelySortsOfDeath wrote:Bring on the internet leaks man.
Jace, you've always intrigued me with your disposition towards spoilers and leaks.
On the one hand, music is music, so the first time you get to hear it shouldn't affect the quality of the song in the end..
But, I know at least for a large handful of the members on here, they like to view an album's release as one big package that must be enjoyed in its entirety rather than incrementally.

What's your reasoning that puts you at the inclination of enjoying whatever happens to be released at the moment, rather than one as one big package?
My logic is, I was always gonna hear it anyway. Why does hearing it earlier matter? Especially if it's the entire album.

Also it doesn't stop me from buying the album if anyone's wondering. I'm getting the CD and vinyl.
Hope You Enjoy It
Occasional

Post by Hope You Enjoy It »

I'm going with NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! this go around. That also means I should stay out of this part of the forums hehe.
NDBois
Occasional

Post by NDBois »

I actually don't mind knowing most of the album as long as I listen to the polka with fresh ears. I love trying to find out how many of the songs I recognize in the polka. To date, I've never known all the songs. Polka Face was the closest I've ever come - The only song I didn't know was Day and Night.
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I voted for nothing, too. While I don't mind if I find out info, I have no need to have every bit of info before the album comes out. I became a more rabid fan after SOL came out. After knowing more than half the content on the last album, it will be nice to be surprised by most of the albums.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

anthontherun wrote:How much MF info do you want before the release?
Why? How much you sellin'?
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Meet me behind the abandoned middle school.