Mandatory Fun Chart Watch

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Mandatory Fun Chart Watch

Post by TMBJon »

Looking over the other new releases on July 15, I'm not really seeing any major competition:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums ... -soon/date" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morrissey and Rise Against will probably sell some records; I haven't really heard of most of the rest of them.
And in the weeks leading up, nothing much either. I see that Robin Thicke has an album out July 1. Ed Sheeran and Phish both have albums out next week. Other than that... nothing?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Re: Mandatory Fun Chart Watch

Post by CharlesNelson »

5 Seconds of Summer (27 June) is supposed to be the next One Direction. They've been marketed pretty well so even if their album is crappy they'll sell.

But yeah, especially since MF is already #4 on Amazon pre-orders, what's to stop it from becoming the highest-charting Al album ever? :o
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

It's #1 now, according to Al's Facebook account.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Moneybags wrote:It's #1 now, according to Al's Facebook account.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

CharlesNelson wrote:5 Seconds of Summer (27 June) is supposed to be the next One Direction. They've been marketed pretty well so even if their album is crappy they'll sell.
5 Seconds Of Summer? Yeah, that sounds pretty much like how long they're gonna be famous in America! ZING!

After hearing about their Kendall Jenner/Billboard awards fiasco, I decided to check out their song "She Looks So Perfect" on a whim since it's apparently their biggest hit so far. There are so many things about them and this song that make me cringe, it would be hysterical if they got big enough for Al to parody at some point.

Getting back to the discussion at hand here, it would be great if this album got to at least #8 on the Billboard charts. After all, SOL was #10 in '06 and Alpoclaypse got to #9. I hope to see this trend w/Al's albums continue and I'm sure the Amazon pre-order reaching #1 wouldn't hurt!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
You Make Me
Occasional

Post by You Make Me »

And seeing that's it's #1 on amazon, they raised the price by $5.
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

Maybe once it comes out and all the news stories about the album make the headline as how this is the last album on his label and make it sound like he is retiring or something all the misinformed casual fans will run out and get it. In about a month every google alert I see in my inbox will probably be like WEIRD AL'S LAST ALBUM!!!
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

I know iTunes isn't Billboard, but this is the iTunes album chart right now (just writing artists' names, too lazy to write album titles):

1. Sam Smith
2. Lana Del Rey
3. Ed Sheeran
4. LINKIN PARK
5. deadmau5
6. Fault in Our Stars soundtrack
7. Mali Music
8. Coldplay
9. Jack White
10. Jennifer Lopez
11. Miranda Lambert
12. 5 Seconds of Summer

For deadmau5 and 5 Seconds of Summer, that's before the album is even released yet. Now I think Al can outsell Jennifer Lopez. Coldplay and Jack White have been up there long enough, particularly Coldplay. I have no idea what Mali Music is, and Al better not get outsold by a bad YA movie soundtrack.

But I don't expect Sam Smith, Lana Del Rey and Ed Sheeran to vacate the Top 3 anytime soon. Robin Thicke might sell some records but he doesn't have the hype around him that he did last summer with "Blurred Lines." I'd take Al over Morrissey and Rise Against.

What I'm concluding here is that I think Mandatory Fun can not only reach #8, but even peak as high as the Top 5, particularly if the "Fancy" parody gets as mainstream as "White & Nerdy."
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I'm pretty confident the album will get into the top ten, at least the first week or so. Alpocalypse was #9 and I think this one could be higher.
Is my dude a dweeb?
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

I just can't imagine how happy Al would be if he managed to pull off a #1 spot..Not sure HOW likely that is, I definitely see this one doing better than Alpocalypse, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been something Al has secretly wished for his whole career.