Sports Song

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Sports Song

Post by CharlesNelson »

Refer to this post in the "Epic" thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11126&p=802452#p802452...

...and to the very first spoiler in the spoiler thread: viewtopic.php?p=795075#p795075

Tl;dr - "Epic" 9-min track does not have to be track meant for potential Super Bowl performance. I speculate that the Super Bowl track is the 6-minute song, and will style-parody the astronomical production value, randomness and/or multi-generational artist choices of recent SB halftime performances. I think this could work really well in the same way "Don't Download This Song" lampooned "We Are The World" charity songs.

Maybe this will be the song with the video financed by Funny or Die, the one with the marching band? Funny or Die gets all kinds of celebrities due to its being founded and run by Will Ferrell. Celebrities, along with a marching band, would seem congruous with a song and video mocking Super Bowl halftime shows.
Last edited by CharlesNelson on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Re: The "Super Bowl" Track (different than "Epic"!)

Post by tomatochives »

OH MAN I FORGOT ABOUT THE MARCHING BAND!

Maybe it'll be one of those videos where they make all kinds of amazing shapes and figures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNe0ZUD19EE :drool:

Except all the formations will be iconography from Al's career. Like... :ham:
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

tomatochives wrote:OH MAN I FORGOT ABOUT THE MARCHING BAND!

Maybe it'll be one of those videos where they make all kinds of amazing shapes and figures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNe0ZUD19EE :drool:

Except all the formations will be iconography from Al's career. Like... :ham:
I knew that was going to be the OSU band before I clicked it. If any of you ever have a chance to see them do their thing in person, do it. They are mind-blowing. Um... also, Al and stuff.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

While I agree that the super bowl song is most likely the one for which the Funny Or Die/marching band video was shot, I don't think it is is the the six minute track either at this point.

Al would probably want to perform this song somewhere. We can at least infer from the NY Times Q&A quote that performing this song for a live audience is one of the main reasons he wrote it to begin with, so it probably doesn't have too many big layers of production. He also has since said that he thinks getting to perform the actual Super Bowl is still a very long shot.

I think if he wrote this as a song he wants to someday perform at the super bowl given the opportunity, he had to have first written it as a song he could easily perform live on tour first (if not the tour for this album, certainly a possible future one) so I think the Super Bowl song is a standard 3 to 4 minute length song that he intends to at least perform in his own concerts.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

But Super Bowl performances are usually lip sync, so it wouldnt really matter how complicated it was as long as the tape doesnt screw up
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

This "Super Bowl" song is very intriguing to me. I mean, I watch the game and usually the halftime show, and I can't say I have this overwhelming sense of some kind of stereotypical "Super Bowl song." The NFL gets all kinds of different acts for the game and sometimes even a bunch of them together. Aside from just being stadium-friendly, I don't really have any idea what to expect out of this song, style- or content-wise.
CharlesNelson
Regular

Post by CharlesNelson »

Skippy wrote:This "Super Bowl" song is very intriguing to me. I mean, I watch the game and usually the halftime show, and I can't say I have this overwhelming sense of some kind of stereotypical "Super Bowl song." The NFL gets all kinds of different acts for the game and sometimes even a bunch of them together. Aside from just being stadium-friendly, I don't really have any idea what to expect out of this song, style- or content-wise.
See that's why one idea I had is that it would mimic the evolution of SB halftime performances, where in the past it would be college marching bands... for several years after the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction they only invited geezer classic rockers... and lately they've just had all kinds of guest stars showing up and idk. Could he do multiple style parodies in one song? I think Al can do anything he thinks of. Maybe it'll have nothing to do with the Super Bowl, this song, but for it to fit the bill of a song specifically written with a SB performance in mind, I don't think any number of pyrotechnics will get the average fan watching on Super Bowl Sunday into a new Al non-parody about salads or Instagram. Most people know Al for his parodies alone, so I think Al has to lampoon something in this song.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
CharlesNelson
Regular

Post by CharlesNelson »

Another idea someone else has a while ago, and forgive me for not crediting this member because I honestly don't remember who it was, was to make this particular song about someone who knows nothing about sports. A "Do the thing, win the points" kind of idea. That would make sense for a Weird Al Super Bowl song.
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

CharlesNelson wrote:Another idea someone else has a while ago, and forgive me for not crediting this member because I honestly don't remember who it was, was to make this particular song about someone who knows nothing about sports. A "Do the thing, win the points" kind of idea. That would make sense for a Weird Al Super Bowl song.
That may have been me, and if not, then I agree with whoever this mystery person is. (I honestly don't remember either. Y'know, they say the memory is the first thing to, uh... to... um. Hoo boy.)

But yes. I would love to see something where a clueless narrator tries to act as if they're really invested in the game, but keeps mixing up sports terminology and otherwise remains super vague. Something like, "From what I've seen of this game -- and it is most certainly a game -- there are clearly two teams out there. And if my theory is correct, whichever one of those teams can outscore the other team is probably going to bring home the victory cup belt." But with, like, rhyming and meter and stuff.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

I don't know. The whole "clueless guy talks about sports" thing seems played out. I've heard half a dozen stand-up comedians do that bit and The Lonely Island has a song that's kind of in that vein. I'm sure Al could put a new spin on it, but if it's going to be about sports (and there's no reason it has to be) then I'd rather see him go for the jugular with a stadium-rock or hip hop song about how athletes put themselves in physical/medical danger for our entertainment, in a take-both-sides way like "TMZ" or "Don't Download This Song."