Jackson Park Express

Moderator: Moderators

tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Jackson Park Express

Post by tomatochives »

Bermuda mentioned something about a 9-minute song being on the album. A song that was written with the intention of being performed at the Super Bowl! I'm trying to fathom what it could be. What subject/what style/what appeal could Al bring to the event??
Also, if he DID manage to perform at halftime (one can only hope) and invited artists he's parodied, who would they be?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: The "Epic" Track

Post by bermuda »

I only said there's a long song, I never said anything about a song for the super bowl! IF by some miracle we ever played the halftime show, the long song would not be part of it!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Al was the one who said something about a song for the Super Bowl, not Bermuda.
And Peggy
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

The only thing I remember Bermuda saying about the long song is that it's definitely not 90s and definitely not Alt Rock.

So my wild guess is that it's sort a spiritual sequel to Albuquerque, in that it tells ones ridiculous long sprawling tale, but done in the style of either Eric Burdon and War's Spill The Wine or Isaac Haye's version of By The Time I Get to Phoenix.

That or it's some sort of prog rock inspired freak out.
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

From what I recall, it was a song that was long and could be a song that could be possibly performed at the Super Bowl. It sounds more like one of those songs people do that is like a big production number. I think it's something more general than "This is the song I would do at the Super Bowl if I were ever asked" sort of thing.
Is my dude a dweeb?
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

All I know is I can't wait to hear it.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

Wizzerkat wrote:From what I recall, it was a song that was long and could be a song that could be possibly performed at the Super Bowl. It sounds more like one of those songs people do that is like a big production number. I think it's something more general than "This is the song I would do at the Super Bowl if I were ever asked" sort of thing.
Yes - and the "Epic" 9-min track does not have to be the "Super Bowl" track. Would you want to watch any artist perform one song for nine minutes at the Super Bowl? In my opinion, "Epic" and "Super Bowl" cannot be the same.

When we found out about the 9-min track, it was reported there was going to be a very long, "Albuquerque" length song and a decently long, "Stop Forwarding" length song about 6 minutes.

I think the "Super Bowl" song will be the 6-min song, and for my money, should parody Super Bowl halftime performances in terms of big production value and randomness and all that (short of a nip slip). I'll make this its own topic, but please keep all this in mind when further discussing the "Epic" track!
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

CharlesNelson wrote:
Wizzerkat wrote:I think the "Super Bowl" song will be the 6-min song, and for my money, should parody Super Bowl halftime performances in terms of big production value and randomness and all that (short of a nip slip).
Don't let the Al Gals hear you say that.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

anthontherun wrote:Don't let the Al Gals hear you say that.
what tf is an Al Gal
Also nip slips are very important
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Kinda hard to keep up with all the info going around, but isn't there also a "semi-epic" track (6 min?) in addition to the epic 9-minute song? For that one, I'm hoping for something in the vein of Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. Not a sequel, mind you, but just a song that tells a (lengthy) story. And not an Albuquerque-type rambling/spoken-word story with musical backing. . .I mean one told in verse. We haven't really had a song like that for awhile. The closest maybe would be Trapped In the Drive-Thru, but that was a parody, not an original. BBOTIM really stands the test of time and would easily be my #1 favorite Al original if you asked me to pick one. I'd like to hear something similar to it on the MF album.

Basically, I just hope it's not another glorified "list" song, like GIF and SFTCTM. (Which are both perfectly fine songs, but don't hold up in the way BBOTIM does).