Tacky Video Thread

Moderator: Moderators

mrbellamy

Re: [spoiler][lyrics] Tacky

Post by mrbellamy »

weird user wrote:This was a good music video.

Does anybody know if Al directed this one? Considering it looks like it was all in one take, seems it would have been difficult to be behind the camera directing all this and then coming back at the end (in a different outfit).
I don't know if he directed it, but yeah, I think the hardest part would be carefully checking for any corrections they needed to make since he wouldn't be able to watch as it was happening. I'm sure that Al was pretty much at least the de facto director, since he would have already planned everything out, approved costumes and the location, determined the camera moves and the path around the warehouse, rehearsed the song and all the timings with the celebs, where and on which lines they'd come in and out, and their dance moves, especially on which lines they'd do anything big like spin around, move forward, backward etc. and coordinated with the camera guys so they would be prepared for everything. All that stuff.

But the biggest problem would be that he couldn't notice mistakes right away and just make mental notes of them as they went along, since like you said he had to change costume and get in place for his second appearance. He'd have to watch the whole video every time and carefully look for things he'd like to change or discuss with whoever had problems, which would be okay but slow down the process. Still, it's easier to do that digitally, and even if he wasn't the director, he probably wanted to watch it back anyway. I'm thinking if he wasn't "officially" directing, then he was probably constantly discussing with the director, who would essentially be Al's collaborator on visual ideas and another set of eyes on set, since everything had to be so carefully calibrated and Al wasn't able to see everything that was happening both in front of and behind the camera at all times. And regardless, I'm pretty sure everyone would have always deferred to Al, because duh!

Then again, I wasn't actually there so what do I know? :lol:
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Re: Tacky Video Thread

Post by AlejandraDD »

I do feel there are enough transitions in the video so that it doesn't necessarily have to be shot all in one take. It could be easy to edit portions together while the camera is pointing to a wall, and make the edit smooth enough to be seamless. But that's just me being a cynical partypooper.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

AlejandraDD wrote:I do feel there are enough transitions in the video so that it doesn't necessarily have to be shot all in one take. It could be easy to edit portions together while the camera is pointing to a wall, and make the edit smooth enough to be seamless. But that's just me being a cynical partypooper.
Specifically; There seems to be a small lighting change between Tyler and Cho during the pan, but that could just be me seeing things. I'm not sure how to go about editing together Stonestreet and Schaal, but going out of the elevator to Black and out of the theatre to Al have distinct point for transition. I suppose Jack Black is the kind of guy that could do a whole bunch of great takes, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was filmed to make it easier to edit. This'd be a good thing to find out from Al, I reckon.

I might've done well in my editing finals, but I'm not a professional, so take this with a grain of salt.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I've seen stories about this video on the websites of three local news stations. I'm not sure whether any of them actually mentioned it on the news, but it's nice to see that this is getting pretty decent publicity.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Kevbo1987 wrote:I've seen stories about this video on the websites of three local news stations. I'm not sure whether any of them actually mentioned it on the news, but it's nice to see that this is getting pretty decent publicity.
Wow, Al on the news! I checked Lithuanian web if they even mentioned his new album - no :? . But they had news about K. Kardashian's dopleganger and the size of Ch. Aguilera's belly... Faith in my nation lost ;( .

"Tacky" is finally on youtube (nerdist channel). Now we can share it like normal people :good:
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Behind The Scenes
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/go-behin ... cky-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Some great pictures in there.

<----- Jack Black steals the show. :lol:
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Waiting to see how long it takes for someone to use the last picture of Al as their avatar...
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Too lazy to go back and check if this has been mentioned already, but Nerdist has uploaded Tacky on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWo8apgLys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

jacobpacek wrote:Too lazy to go back and check if this has been mentioned already, but Nerdist has uploaded Tacky on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWo8apgLys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, already mentioned