Mission Statement

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Mission Statement

Post by Big Spoon »

I was in Starbucks earlier, and a CSNY song was playing over the speakers. First time listening to them since Mandatory Fun came out. Was really amazed at how well Al nailed their style.
And Peggy
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

Still growing on me after 3 listens. The first time I thought it dragged on, the second time I paid closer attention to all the lyrics, and the third time I just chilled to the music. I guess the beauty of this song is that there's something for both left and right-brained people.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Re: [spoiler][lyrics] Mission Statement

Post by Grom »

Mystik Tomato wrote:Not my favourite, but that's not to say it's bad.
That's pretty much my opinion. However, I'm really tempted to print the lyrics out and stick it up at work and see just how many people take it seriously.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
darkhornet
Occasional

Post by darkhornet »

Wow. Microsoft laid off over 12,000 people with an awful memo. This thing sounds a lot like Mission Statement:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -memo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

This is becoming one of my favorite songs on the album. It was toward the bottom for me the first time around, but it's really really good. The style is dead-on, the lyrics are actually pretty funny, and it's also quite catchy too.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

From the first listen (I'm now up to 12 on the album) this has been one of my favorite songs on the album musically, and I would also say it is among the funniest tracks as well.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Seriously, I have said it before and I will say it again, THIS is one of my all time favorite Al songs!!!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

Love the idea of Crosby Stills and Nash singing about how awesome corporate america is.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

MandatoryFun wrote:Love the idea of Crosby Stills and Nash singing about how awesome corporate america is.
Exactly what I was going to say. Like much of the album, this song seems to take a while to grow on me (not that any of it's bad, mind you, just not as immediately "awesome!" to me as say, SOL). Musically, it's fantastic (love the "do-do-do..." towards the end, perfectly reminiscent of CSN's "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"), and of course, catchy.

Another thing: given the theme of the album, I consider "Mission Statement" to be an unofficial "title track" for MF, even if the phrase "mandatory fun" is never actually dropped. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Al came up with the album title while working on this track.
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

avesjohn wrote: Exactly what I was going to say. Like much of the album, this song seems to take a while to grow on me (not that any of it's bad, mind you, just not as immediately "awesome!" to me as say, SOL). Musically, it's fantastic (love the "do-do-do..." towards the end, perfectly reminiscent of CSN's "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"), and of course, catchy.

Another thing: given the theme of the album, I consider "Mission Statement" to be an unofficial "title track" for MF, even if the phrase "mandatory fun" is never actually dropped. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Al came up with the album title while working on this track.
Hadn't thought about it that way. I think I agree. But all the tracks on the album represent some weird overarching message like that for me. Most of the songs feel like jabs at shitty millennials.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha