Mandatory Fun (Album 14) Speculation :3

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Re: Album 14 Speculation :3

Post by CharlesNelson »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11071

What interests me most about Bermuda's reply is that I said 6 originals, and he said "5 possible songs" in his reply. Sure it could be a typo, but this leads me to think maybe one of the 6 originals is not a style parody of anyone, and more of a complete original.

EDIT BECAUSE I FORGOT: More to the point, it doesn't seem like we're getting a new kind of song that starts as direct parody turning into style parody. I think it'll be a mashup of styles of one artist/group like "Pancreas" and "Genius in France" were.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

But it definitely seems to verify that it's an original song, not a parody. I think Patton may be using the term "parody" a bit loosely. I doubt we have an "original" song that starts as a direct parody of a particular song. Maybe a musical echo of one of the bands' song, but not a straight lyrical parody.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

Yeah, that's what I said. It doesn't seem that that's what we're getting.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

I'm really intrigued by the big, Super Bowl-caliber song Al teased in that interview a while back. The way Patton said that there will be huge, mass demand for Al to do the Super Bowl halftime show after people hear the album leads me to think that the song itself is literally about and a satire of Super Bowl halftime shows in general. If that's the case, then it's probably inspired by a lot of past Super Bowl performances and not any one particular artist.
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

Because I'm not much a of a sports guy (and I imagine Al isn't either), I always wondered what Al's take on a sporting event song would be. Personally, I think it'd be hilarious to hear a sports song about not knowing much about sports (kind of a "go team/do the thing/get the points" type of deal where a bunch of really vague sports terms are mishmoshed together). But I'm sure a song about the Super Bowl itself would be well-played in Al's hands.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks there could be a song with a sports/athletic theme to it on the new album. I was just thinking because after Elvis posted the spoiler about the "Super Bowl" caliber song, Bermuda said there was "another clue out there" and I thought that was referring to the "Super Bowl" mention.

Also, for some reason when I read Bermuda's "5 possible songs" reply I thought he could've been referring to how Al was planning another Albuquerque-length original song for this album. After all, he told Jeremy and Jeremy then posted it as a spoiler in the other thread. Another 12+ minute song probably isn't going to turn out to be your average style parody/pastiche of a cherished 90s alt rock band. Bermuda probably figures any of us could've inferred that.
CharlesNelson wrote:Come .Gif Me Now.
This raises an interesting speculation point. From the last four albums, it's pretty obvious that the internet and technology are becoming staples of Al's songs the same way food songs were in the 80s and TV songs later were going into the 90s. What topic(s) HASN'T Al tackled yet in terms of online trends?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Killingsworth wrote:What topic(s) HASN'T Al tackled yet in terms of online trends?
He could always tackle the reality of how funny and/or disturbing Chat Roulette is, that is something more recent that hasn't really been covered..even though it would probably be difficult to keep a "PG rating" with a song like that.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I keep expecting something like Kickstarter or Buzzfeed to somehow show up, if we're talking relatively more recent websites.

Also, he's never tackled Online Dating sites, which to me sees also seems like good fodder for one of Al's silly love songs.

And a trend that seems to pop up in a lot of songs lately are "hashtag lyrics", that could possibly show up somewhere.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Killingsworth wrote: Also, for some reason when I read Bermuda's "5 possible songs" reply I thought he could've been referring to how Al was planning another Albuquerque-length original song for this album. After all, he told Jeremy and Jeremy then posted it as a spoiler in the other thread. Another 12+ minute song probably isn't going to turn out to be your average style parody/pastiche of a cherished 90s alt rock band. Bermuda probably figures any of us could've inferred that.
Hard to say. If the 90s band in question is Radiohead, Al could use "Paranoid Android" as a template, since it's a lengthy 6 minute song that consists of distinct parts which Al could easily incroparte elements of Radiohead's other songs/eras into it. Of course that could end up being the slightly less long "Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me" length song that Bermuda also alluded to as opposed to the 12+ minute one.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Killingsworth wrote:Also, for some reason when I read Bermuda's "5 possible songs" reply I thought he could've been referring to how Al was planning another Albuquerque-length original song for this album... Another 12+ minute song probably isn't going to turn out to be your average style parody/pastiche of a cherished 90s alt rock band.
I wasn't... although there does happen to be a 9-min song.

Cherished? Maybe...

90s? Alt rock? Hardly!

:hamsters: