Weird Al Super Bowl Halftime Show

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Weird Al Super Bowl Halftime Show

Post by TMBJon »

If Weird Al played the halftime show, what setlist would you have him play?
Remember: You are going for the widest of all wide audiences. Many people watching either have not heard of or do not particularly care for Weird Al. Also, this would be BY FAR Al's biggest audience yet, both in the stadium and worldwide.
Also: Super Bowl halftime show performances are generally about ten minutes long and usually consist of a medley of the artist's biggest hits. There is no time for costume changes so this will have to be done the way Al usually does his medley in concert, just a string of hits with maybe 15 seconds between songs to put on a funny hat or jacket.

Here's my setlist:
Polka Face (shortened version but functions as a standalone song, not part of a medley)
Medley of:
White & Nerdy
TMZ
Party In The CIA
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Amish Paradise
Eat It

He would be wearing a Hawaiian shirt getup for most of this except adding a guitar for SLN, beard for AP, and jacket for Eat It.

Again, keep in mind this is for a very, very mainstream audience. Doubtful there would be any obscure tracks or even originals at all. Looking forward to your thoughts.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Re: Weird Al Super Bowl Halftime Show

Post by weird_el »

TSB and Yoda with hundreds of Storm Troopers and Star Wars characters extras. This needs to be big and splashy. And lasers, there should be lots of lasers.

Keep in mind this is staged in the middle of a stadium.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

White & Nerdy
Eat It
The Saga Begins
Yoda
And Peggy
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

... And the Storm Troopers should be good dancers not just the ones who stand there for scenery at Al's regular shows.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

5 song set:
Perform This Way
Smells Like Nirvana
Mini-Medley (Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies/Whatever You Like/I Want A New Duck/My Bologna/Lasagna/Eat It)
White & Nerdy
Fat

Could do them all with minor props and perhaps one commercial break where he puts on the Fat suit, seems doable.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

I agree with the hundreds of storm troopers. Need to have that at the beginning to herald Al in. Then, I think you laid out a great setlist Jon. Also, the same thought with costume changes. Although, I am going to leave out Canadian Idiot. So, a medley of:

Saga Begins
Polka Face
TMZ
Party In The CIA
Amish Paradise
White & Nerdy
Smells Like Nirvana
Eat It
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

A White n Nerdy Superbowl performance would be great if they could incorporate a segway Busby Berkeley-esque routine. Hundreds of people on Segways making different patterns on the field.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

I dont know how long half time is in American Football. In all sports I've ever seen it is no longer than 15 minutes in which case there's only enough room for TSB and Yoda really

Going down the medley route.. it'd have to be
W&N
Eat It
Fat
Amish Paradise
TSB
Yoda
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

I'm totally into a ton of dancers (and segways) on the stage! Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9MZPmCpw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And even more flashy than that. I think it would be great if they made a huge "fuss" over him. Like, you know, he could pull up to the stage in a limo with a bunch of gorgeous women and they roll out the red carpet for him (or Hawaiian carpet), the accordion gets wheeled out on some kind of elaborate thing or rises up from a hole in the stage... you know, crazy stuff like that. It would be a comedic thing. I think the crowd would go nuts over it. Well, I'm enjoying envisioning it, anyway. :P

A huge number of stormtroopers is a great idea as well. I don't know what songs I'd pick, but I definitely think Eat It and White & Nerdy would be good for crowd recognition and therefore good to include. Maybe finishing with Eat It.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
You know, whatever
Occasional

Post by You know, whatever »

I think it would be fun to see the original artists perform with him (which cancels out Bad and Smells like Nirvana) so I will say......Born this way, party in the Cia, another tattoo and ebay. Just cause I love ebay.